Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clicking Noise in Drivetrain (when cool)

Old 09-23-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iadventure: I have checked the u-joints and they seem to be fine. I had a mechanic frined go voer them as well and he concured.

mkjeep: awesome. can't wait to do the yoga. I have her parked right now. Should have time to look it over this weekend I hope. I'll check through the exhaust system for anything unusual.

Thanks for the help all. If you think of anything else, keep um coming. I would love to be able to nail this down. The main trail season is upon us and I'm itching to get out. If I do get time this weekend to work on her, I am planning to chop up my flares as well... always something to do.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default It's always the driveshaft...

Well, I finally had sometime to check out all the possibilities that I was unalbe to previously get to... turns out it was the driveshaft after all.

On Sunday, I checked everything. My manifold (after removing the heat shield), tire, alignment, supsension, u-joints, etc. Finally, after having a buddy ride with me and figuring I had nothing to lose, I removed the rear driveshaft, threw it into 4HI and drove it around town a bit... no clicking. It was well below the temperature threshold that I heard it at before so I had a good feeling I was on the right track. I replaced the driveshaft and again returned the clicking.

It turns out that the little splooge of grease at the joint near the TC was just the beginning. After driving to a friends and home, I checked underneath at the joint and there was a good size ring of grease splattered up underneath the body. I had ripped the boot and now it was spitting grease. I may not have noticed this before or it had just started either way, it's time for a new one.

I ordered a new rear CV Double Cardan driveshaft from Curtis Tatton in Utah. Should receive it and have it in by the end of the week. If anyone is interested I will post more once I have the install complete.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

I get this clicking noise some mornings too but it goes away after I drive a kilometre or so and as far as I can tell it's caused by condensation on my brakes, I hosed off the undercarriage a few weeks ago so that I could paint and rust proof the undercarriage (it looked like hell from rust spots etc.) I used my pressure washer applying fairly light pressure to hose it down, when I went to back the jeep up into the backyard I could hear this clicking noise right after I released the brake. I figured my brakes were saturated with water so I took it for a ride around the neighbourhood to dry them out and the noise went away. If I dont go anywhere until say 12 - 1PM it doesnt do it because the temperature has risen and they have dried out.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mcaden
Well, I finally had sometime to check out all the possibilities that I was unalbe to previously get to... turns out it was the driveshaft after all.

On Sunday, I checked everything. My manifold (after removing the heat shield), tire, alignment, supsension, u-joints, etc. Finally, after having a buddy ride with me and figuring I had nothing to lose, I removed the rear driveshaft, threw it into 4HI and drove it around town a bit... no clicking. It was well below the temperature threshold that I heard it at before so I had a good feeling I was on the right track. I replaced the driveshaft and again returned the clicking.

It turns out that the little splooge of grease at the joint near the TC was just the beginning. After driving to a friends and home, I checked underneath at the joint and there was a good size ring of grease splattered up underneath the body. I had ripped the boot and now it was spitting grease. I may not have noticed this before or it had just started either way, it's time for a new one.

I ordered a new rear CV Double Cardan driveshaft from Curtis Tatton in Utah. Should receive it and have it in by the end of the week. If anyone is interested I will post more once I have the install complete.
How did it go? Did the clicking go away? Did you need to replace the whole drive shaft or could you have it repaired? My 08 is doing the same exact thing and I do see a spit ring of grease on the underside. I am wondering if it is necessary to replace the whole drive shaft or not.. Thanks for your input it was really helpful!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mcaden
Here's the situation. On cool mornings (50-60s), when I start up my 07 JK and start traveling down the road, I hear a clicking noise I believe to be some where in the drivetrain that increases in frequency as I accelerate. The kicker is it only happens for the first few miles or so.

I drive about 20 miles to work each day and I only hear it (very fainitly while driving 45) for the first 2-3 miles. Once the components have heated (it seems) the clicking is gone. I feel that it is something in the drivetrain (I'm thinking the driveshaft but could be way off) because of the location of the noise and the absence of the noise when the transmission is disengaged.

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I am just that. There is a 3.5" Skyjacker lift on it but also a lot of weight with bumpers and such so I was hoping that the driveshaft wouldn't be an issue even know I have heard they can be. It hasn't really been wheeled all that hard. I tend to baby it since I drive it every day.

Any help with this matter that could steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
My 08 same thing. 4" lift. Goes away after a km or so. Driveshaft and control arms to fix the axle angle, when ever the factory one gives out.

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise in Drivetrain (when cool)