Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clicking Noise in 4WD

Old 01-17-2015, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise in 4WD

Noticed while I was out on the trail the other weekend that my Jeep was making a clicking noise while turning. After returning home, I looked to see what could be causing this. It only occurs in 4WD and while turning (both driver and passenger). I would have to assume that its only doing it while turning because there is more stress/binding occurring.

I thought that it was one of the u-joints in the front axle, so I just replaced both today and it's still making the same noise. So, back under the vehicle I went and it seems like the front driveshaft has play in the CV joint by the transfer case, or whatever that joint is called in a stock driveshaft.

Could this potentially be the issue, or do you guys think it could be something else?

It's a 2008 2-Door with a 3" Teraflex lift and 33's. There's no locker in the front, by the way.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

That could definitely be it. The Rzeppa joint will click when its gone bad. Usually from the boot getting torn and the grease being thrown out. Normally only hear it in 4WD. There is a rebuild kit out there or time for a new drive shaft

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_0013.htm

Last edited by jeep-rat; 01-17-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Alright, thanks! I guess I'll just look into getting another driveshaft.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

This sounds exactly like what happened to my 07 and the linked part above from qtec did the trick.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what it is; but I've had it happen on 2 new Jeeps, and a new truck as well. Everything checked out just fine, nothing was worn. Both front wheels, sounded like the hubs.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive had the same symptoms. My front driveshaft felt ok while on the jeep. After removing the front shaft, it turned out the u-joints were toast!
Old 01-18-2015, 02:03 PM
JK Newbie

Any opinions on replacing the Rzeppa joint vs. getting a new driveshaft? I was looking at getting one from Adams, but may be considering replacing that joint.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

How much lift do you have?
It'd be cheaper to change to joint, or find someone selling a stock shaft cheap.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim08JK
Any opinions on replacing the Rzeppa joint vs. getting a new driveshaft? I was looking at getting one from Adams, but may be considering replacing that joint.
Or just buy someone's stock driveshaft. Lots of people have them collecting dust in their garage.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Tim08JK
I just replaced the joint but I knew I wouldn't have the jeep much longer. It's really just a temporary bandaid.

If you can pony up for an aftermarket shaft, that's your best bet in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Clicking Noise in 4WD