Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

clicking noise

Old 06-13-2007, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking noise

I got an alignment yesterday, came back from the shop, and now i hear a clicking/ticking noise. Its not constant, but enough to where it bothers me. It is comming from my front drivers side. Any ideas? Could it be my lift and/ or trac bar? I am gonna start greasing and retourqing things and try and figure this out.

Any ideads?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 AM
JK Newbie

Check the rubber/plastic boot on your front driveshaft. There is a metal collar on it that might be rubbing your transmission pan (mine was).

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default Click noise

BlkRubi-

Were you able to find the cause of the Click noise? I have a FT Ultimate lift with a click every now and then when driving. Sounds like the left front somewhere...
Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bodiab
Check the rubber/plastic boot on your front driveshaft. There is a metal collar on it that might be rubbing your transmission pan (mine was).

Good luck.
Ditto - If you have an automatic, I can almost guarantee that this is your problem. After installing a lift, your drive shaft boot will come into contact with the auto skid on a droop and that will cause it to get damaged. When you got your alingment, the shop probably dropped your axle to make adjustments without disconnecting your drive shaft and that's how it got damaged.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:31 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by babbott
BlkRubi-

Were you able to find the cause of the Click noise? I have a FT Ultimate lift with a click every now and then when driving. Sounds like the left front somewhere...
Again, check your front drive shaft boot as it most likely is damaged or one of the clips have come undone.

To prevent further damage, you may want to remove the auto skid or cut a nice big rounded notch in it where the DS hits.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Click Noise

Wayoflife-

I have gone through it very carefully and eliminated all of the drivetrain. It sounds like might be under the spring seat or front track bar bushing or even the sway bar. The sound is very random - does not make the noise under normal suspension travel, but rather like when I go over very small bumps, like pulling into the driveway. I eliminated the brakes and front knuckles (turning not require to produce sound). Very strange!! A 'click' ot 'tap' occasionally and that's it, taking off or slowing down, or small bumps. The sound arrived after my last trail ride... I can jump up and down on my front suspension and it will only make the sound randomly. I really think it's comming from the track bar bushing on the frame...
Old 10-19-2007, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Default clicking noise

dude, had a niose like that. it ended up being my upper sway bar link on the passenger side. you know how it is when your drinking and putting stuff together you crank it, well your buddies might not and thats what had happened. it wasn't tight enough and was sliding up and down clickin. i stood in the bumper and jumped until i could locate the noise. it wasn't loose enough to see but loose enough to hear. give it a try.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

babbott,

What you are describing sounds exactly what I just went through the last 3-4 weeks. Clicking noise coming from the front driver's side. It started shortly after my last offroad trip and over the last couple of weeks had gotten worse and worse. I could lift up on the front driver's side bumper and get it to click and then get another click bouncing the bumper down. I too have the full traction ultimate. I thought it was coming from the axle side upper control arm mount. I tightened that bolt til I broke it off and had to go buy a new one at the hardware store. After installing the new bolt and getting it completely tightend(125 ft lbs) the clicking noise was still there. Anyway, yesterday I couldn't stand it any more and took it in to Four Wheel Parts. The mechanic tightened everything up in that area and the clicking noise went away. Since he tightened everything he wasn't sure exactly what was causing it but I think it must have been the track bar mount on that side. Not sure why I never checked that before I took it in but at least they didn't charge me.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input!! I'm going to torque everything down this afternoon and see if it goes away. I'll let you know.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Torque it down!! That was it! I retorqued the track bar at the frame mount and BINGO - No more click!!!

Quick Reply: clicking noise