Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clearance Questions: 37s on a 2.5" Coil Lift

Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance Questions: 37s on a 2.5" Coil Lift

My original plan was 35s but I am leaning towards the 37s.

Current setup is 2.5" Teraflex coil lift (actual 3.5" F/3" R) but I plan on either adding a 1.25" body lift or coil spacers - maybe a combination of both. Will there be any fitment/clearance issues? After researching the threads I think the pinch seam may or may not need to be addressed but that’s about it. I do not want to cut my fenders. I plan on running the stock 18" wheels with 37x13.50 Toyo M/Ts. I don’t plan on buying the tires until spring so I still have some time to do further research but would appreciate any input. Also, I won’t lie, the Jeep is 95% street driven.

I am hoping I won’t need to address the driveshafts yet either...

Here is a pic as of now:
Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

13.5" wide tires may have an issue on the stock rims. Most tire store guidelines limit the width on stock rims to about 11", but some will go to 12.5. I think 13.5 may be pushing it...
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

You will need a stubby front bumper, you will need some bumpstops and probably some trimming on your pinch seam.

37s are a BIG tire but they can fit.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul R
13.5" wide tires may have an issue on the stock rims. Most tire store guidelines limit the width on stock rims to about 11", but some will go to 12.5. I think 13.5 may be pushing it...
I have heard that as well but I thought I remember a few members running wider (12.5-13.5) tires on the stock 7.5" wide wheels and being okay. I do not do any major off roading so would this be okay on the street?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKagermeister
I have heard that as well but I thought I remember a few members running wider (12.5-13.5) tires on the stock 7.5" wide wheels and being okay. I do not do any major off roading so would this be okay on the street?
A 12.5 is pushing it, so 13.5 would be pushing it plus some.....I guess it depends on how much fear you have of a tire coming off the bead at highway speeds. Even if it fits it would look like a big donut going down the road....I think tires that are too big for the rim look silly so I personally would change the wheel.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKHammer1
A 12.5 is pushing it, so 13.5 would be pushing it plus some.....I guess it depends on how much fear you have of a tire coming off the bead at highway speeds. Even if it fits it would look like a big donut going down the road....I think tires that are too big for the rim look silly so I personally would change the wheel.
Good point and I don't disagree... I just like the look of the stock Sahara wheels.

Anyone running 13.5" wide tires on stock wheels?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKagermeister
Don't do it... please dont do it lol
Old 12-04-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Look at the specs on that tire. Recommended rim width range 8.5-11. Notice that they recommend 11", and not 8.5". Call around to you local shops and see if you can find one that will even mount them on the stock rims.

They also list overall treadwidth at 14"!! You will need significantly more than a 1.5" wheel spacer. Think about getting down to a 3.75 or lower backspace. Stock is 6.25, so a 2.5" wheel spacer at a minimum. (or plan on bringing in your steer stops to where you can barely turn...)

If you aren't willing to go to flat flares, you will need a ton of bump stop. (hit a bump, and you are riding on the stops)

The BL will be needed.

As far as driveshafts go, if you want to minimize the risk of replacement (or hold off as long as possible, anyway), don't add coil spacers. You are already pushing it at your current height. Keep an eye on at the tcase joint on both shafts, but the front is likely to go out first.

Overall, I think you have a bad plan going on there. But it's your jeep, good luck with it...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ran 33x13.5x17 iroks on the stock rubicon rims. Never had a problem even down at 12 psi. Just need spacers so u don't rub.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Look at the specs on that tire. Recommended rim width range 8.5-11. Notice that they recommend 11", and not 8.5". Call around to you local shops and see if you can find one that will even mount them on the stock rims.

They also list overall treadwidth at 14"!! You will need significantly more than a 1.5" wheel spacer. Think about getting down to a 3.75 or lower backspace. Stock is 6.25, so a 2.5" wheel spacer at a minimum. (or plan on bringing in your steer stops to where you can barely turn...)

If you aren't willing to go to flat flares, you will need a ton of bump stop. (hit a bump, and you are riding on the stops)

The BL will be needed.

As far as driveshafts go, if you want to minimize the risk of replacement (or hold off as long as possible, anyway), don't add coil spacers. You are already pushing it at your current height. Keep an eye on at the tcase joint on both shafts, but the front is likely to go out first.

Overall, I think you have a bad plan going on there. But it's your jeep, good luck with it...
Thanks for the insight - everyone. This is good information that helps me make the correct decision. Perhaps the 37s will have to wait until the next stage. I see people running 35s with no lift, trimming and flats so I figure with some lift 37s would be feasible for the street. I have some time to think so I will continue to do my homework.

Quick Reply: Clearance Questions: 37s on a 2.5" Coil Lift