Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cleaning MIckey Thompson Wheels

Old 07-21-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning MIckey Thompson Wheels

I have Mickey Thompson Classic II Wheels on my JK and they are in need of a good cleaning/polishing. Can anyone give me advice,steps,products etc. to get them looking good again. I read that the good thing about an aluminum wheel is that it can always be brought back to good as new. I've been told that 1500 wet/dry sandpaper and polish will do it but I'm not sure about using sandpaper. Please help
Old 07-21-2011, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of people mess up the finish of polished aluminum by not washing them regularly and washing with too harsh of a chemical. I've always used soap and water to wash polished aluminum. I'd suggest buying a Mother's Powerball and using it and some aluminum polish before trying anything else.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

The best way I have found was a good aluminum polish and a LOT of elbow greese. Never Dull works really. It comes in a little silver can if you go looking for it. My 99 gsxr has a polished frame, and Never Dull brought it back to life after I messed it up by using the wrong cleaner on it.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I have used a polish called wenol in the past with good results
Old 07-21-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Adams Polishes makes an aluminum polish gets great reviews.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blkjk
I have Mickey Thompson Classic II Wheels on my JK and they are in need of a good cleaning/polishing. Can anyone give me advice,steps,products etc. to get them looking good again. I read that the good thing about an aluminum wheel is that it can always be brought back to good as new. I've been told that 1500 wet/dry sandpaper and polish will do it but I'm not sure about using sandpaper. Please help
I sold mine when they got to be too much of a pain in the ass. Other than that, the cleanest they ever got was when this one guy at the local car wash spent like 40 minutes cleaning and buffing them for an extra $10. He got a $10 tip he did such a fantastic job.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Autosol. Best stuff I ever used on aluminum. Works wonders.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zepa lube, mothers and a buff ball.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Mine got hard to clean after a trip to the Outer Banks and we had to drive about seven miles in salt water between Avon and Salvo when the tide pushed in. They've been a bugger ever since.

Quick Reply: Cleaning MIckey Thompson Wheels