Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clayton's 3.5" premium lift kit vs. Rusty's Offroad 3.25" advanced lift kit?

Old 12-20-2010, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clayton's 3.5" premium lift kit vs. Rusty's Offroad 3.25" advanced lift kit?

I have a 2010 Unlimited (4 door) Rubicon and am getting ready to lift it up. Ultimately it was between three companies. 1) Clayton 3.5" premium lift kit 2) Rustys offroad 3.25" advanced lift kit and 3) AEV 3.5" premium lift kit. I believe all are good choices but I dropped AEV off the list. So now I am torn between Clayton and Rustys. I would love to hear opinions or if any one has first hand experience using either lift kits. Every one love pics!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Moochie; 12-20-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Blacklisted manufacturer mention
Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

What size tires are you trying to run? And what about Teraflex and/or Rock Krawler? Both of those are very good setups and well liked by many people on here.

Haven't heard much about the other two that you're looking at, other than a buddy of mine is running that Rusty's setup and seems to like it a lot.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running rustys 3.25 and love it. Comes with new trac bars front and rear no brackets and rides pretty good for being lifted
Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Rusty's and Clayton's seem to be pretty different price points.

It looks the the Rusty's Advance is $1450 and that includes shocks vs. Clayton Premium which is $1737 not including shocks.

Nonetheless, if I were choosing right now for my Jeep I'd go with Clayton.

The kit is pretty darn complete & the parts are solid.

I like the arms - they're beefy and built with quality bushings & Currie johnny joints.

I also like that the zerk on the front lowers is on the frame side - not the axle side. I keep destroying the zerks on my TF front lowers in the rocks. (yes I can go to a needle fitting but I'm just saying this is thought out from the manufacturer).

Also the Clayton kit specs Bilsteins which obviously are quality on and off road shocks.

I definitely think Clayton doesn't get the attention it deserves. I think with the new Entry Level kits the price point is more attainable and we'll see more people running their stuff. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello.

A lot of good information above.

From what I can see our kit is the most complete. The premium kit comes with 8 fully adjustable arms which carry a lifetime warranty against bending or breaking. Adjustable front trackbar, HD rear trackbar bracket, stainless steel brakelines, swyabr links, discos, bumpstops and coils.

Shocks are optional because this gives you a choice. We really like the way the Bislteins work, and now also offer their new 5160 remote reservoir shock.

Normally I would say come down for a test drive in our JK, but I blew up the front spider gears in the D30. But it will be back together shortly, and then testing out the new bilstein shocks.

Please feel free to call our shop, send us an email, or stop by and we can show you around the shop and some of our products.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Mfg.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

I am in the same boat .. I have a 2010 unlim s auto and according to Rustys you dont need to replace the driveshaft but I have not been able to find a definate answer on that ..it was just what I seen on tv lol ...

I want a 3.5 lift but not ready to spend the extra 1000$ on driveshafts
Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the Clayton's stuff. I don't know why more people don't run it. I would have when I bought my setup but I was broke. Looking back I should gave just waited till I wasn't broke and bought from Clayton.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had / have the rustys kit on my 2 door. It has started to sag in about 6 months. And now sits right at 3.25 on the coils. I have acos so less noticeable, but still that's on a two door. Also there shocks are a pita to put bushings in unless you have a press, also not much droop left on mine, they were replaced with teraflex 6" lift shocks. Now I have flex from the gods. The only thing nice about the rustys is the trackbars. Also rustys shipping is insane.

Simply put I would go Clayton w/ the bilstiens said above, order from a vendor with free shipping and be done with it.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

I would do Rock Kralwer or Clayton!

Support your Semi local vendors!

And it doesnt hurt that they make kickass stuff!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

I would go Clayton over Rusty's. I know several people with the Rusty's and they are having issues. Including the welds on the track bar breaking, fittings on the control arms worn out after 12,000 miles. They have major issues.
I was personally looking at the AEV and OME LT HD Northridge kit and went with the OME kit because the AEV kit uses alot of unecessary brackets. I also like the OME shocks over the Bilsteins.

Quick Reply: Clayton's 3.5" premium lift kit vs. Rusty's Offroad 3.25" advanced lift kit?