Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clayton long arm hybrid

Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clayton long arm hybrid

So questions for the knowledge here, with the clayton 3.5" kit it says the axles are ok, but it gives warning about them... If was was to go with the hybrid long are mit on my jku instead would axle replacement be a must??

Also if you are running a clayton 3.5 could you post pics and let me know whic one so i can get some ideas... thanks guys
Old 01-27-2012, 09:21 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the type of control arms you use should have no effect on what axles you run.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
the type of control arms you use should have no effect on what axles you run.
I appreciate the quick response Ed, but i guess i have always assumed that long arm inplied that the control arms themselves were in fact longer and would push the axle forward more (or back more depending on the axle in question) is that not true... and if it is then would you need a longer driveshaft?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I mistakenly said axles in my first post when i meant to talk driveshaft
Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by soxkid
I appreciate the quick response Ed, but i guess i have always assumed that long arm inplied that the control arms themselves were in fact longer and would push the axle forward more (or back more depending on the axle in question) is that not true... and if it is then would you need a longer driveshaft?
your control arm mounts get relocated on your frame rails when installing long arms, your axle does not or should not move. if it moved, you would have other issues to deal with.

I mistakenly said axles in my first post when i meant to talk driveshaft
you do not need a longer drive shaft when going long arms. if anything, you need a shorter drive shaft when running dana 60's. you will be fine with stock length drive shafts.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Once again thank you for the information, it is a big deciding factor in wheither i am going to go with the long are Hybrid or to just go with the 8 control arm 3.5 kit... Though I am pretty sure i know the response any opinion on which to go with... why would a long arm be so much better?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Once again thank you for the information, it is a big deciding factor in wheither i am going to go with the long are Hybrid or to just go with the 8 control arm 3.5 kit... Though I am pretty sure i know the response any opinion on which to go with... why would a long arm be so much better?
The taller you go, the steeper the angle of your control arms will be. This change in geometry will negatively effect the way your jeep rides and how your axle articulates. You will feel the benefits of long arms mostly ON pavement. Having said all that, long arms really aren't needed for just 3.5" of lift. The factory arms are plenty long enough even at that height.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
The taller you go, the steeper the angle of your control arms will be. This change in geometry will negatively effect the way your jeep rides and how your axle articulates. You will feel the benefits of long arms mostly ON pavement. Having said all that, long arms really aren't needed for just 3.5" of lift. The factory arms are plenty long enough even at that height.
Are you going to expect a slice of that $500 you just saved me?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:16 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Are you going to expect a slice of that $500 you just saved me?
LOL!! It's all good my friend
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Quick Reply: Clayton long arm hybrid