Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clayton 4.5" Lift Kit

Old 01-30-2023, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clayton 4.5" Lift Kit

i am looking into the clayton 4.5" OVERLAND+ Lift Kit 2007-2018, and i was wondering if anyone runs this or has any reviews of clayton products. i haven't really heard of them that much but the kit looks pretty solid. just want to see if anyone has had any bad experiences with clayton before.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Is there a reason you are wanting to lift 4.5"? Are you going to run a 40" tire? That is really high for a JK and you're really going to have a hard time getting acceptable caster with a factory axle at that height, specially on a short/mid arm kit. I would say that there are better kits out there to get. My personal preference would be Metalcloak, but I really buy into the bushings they use in their joints. Keep in mind that the kit you're looking at does not include an adjustable rear TB, longer brake lines (they include small brackets), nor outboards the shocks. It also does not come with a high steer kit which you'd want at that height, and you'd need an aftermarket driveshaft in short order too (front and rear if a 2dr). Higher is not better. The best advice is lift to accommodate tires and not much more. 2.5" for 35s, 3.5" for 37s.....4.5" for 40s.....

I wouldn't tell you there's anything specific wrong with the Clayton lift....just more the though process behind the height. If you're going to blow that much money on a lift I'd scrutinize what each manufacturer is using as joints and compare them.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

i found this lift for a crazy good deal on marketplace, comes with a driveshaft and exhaust drop down bracket. i have about a 3 inch lift now and will be putting 37s on my jeep. the lift i have is kind of patched together and this was a really good deal so i was considering upgrading my lift all together. also, the kit was the premuim package, so it does come with a steering system. only thing i feel like its missing is the break lines.

Last edited by Cincinnatijk; 01-30-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a lift that is patched together, as long as everything is of decent quality and done properly. My just is essentially a Frankenlift. Depending on what your jeep was currently like, I'd say stick with that even for 37s. Money might be better spent working with what you got or sprucing up here or there. Guess it all depends on price and if you can salvage anything from your current lift. Often, the screamin' FBM deals don't turn out to be such great deals. If you are going to daily that thing in addition to being a weekend warrior, the caster consideration is a big deal IMO cuz you'd only be making things worse for the pavement in regard to driveability, and you'd be increasing your COG offroad...which ain't great.

Anyhow, Clayton has been around for a good while. They are not a common brand you see people running all the time but that does not mean they are flawed products. I see the name come up more on things like cross members and skids moreso than lifts. Looking closely at their joint.....I haven't ever looked at that "Giiro" joint. Looks like an ok joint that should help cushion feedback from the pavement.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

i did find a metalcloak 3.5" lift that seems like an ok deal as well but doesnt come with a driveshaft or steering kit. the lift i have was done by someone else and doesnt have any upgraded control arms, basically shocks and springs, rides pretty rough. but i wasnt sure if the 37s would fit or not.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cincinnatijk
i did find a metalcloak 3.5" lift that seems like an ok deal as well but doesnt come with a driveshaft or steering kit. the lift i have was done by someone else and doesnt have any upgraded control arms, basically shocks and springs, rides pretty rough. but i wasnt sure if the 37s would fit or not.

Anything over 2 or 2.5 in you need all 8 adjustable control arms and both adjustable trackbars, more than likely raised rear tb bracket and raised front tb bracket and flipped drag link,and 4.5 really needs b long arm imo or the least geometry correction brackets, sure they hang little lower but drive ability is better along with all the other stuff mentioned

Quick Reply: Clayton 4.5" Lift Kit