Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Clatter noise from under jeep while driving...

Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clatter noise from under jeep while driving...

I have a 2007 Wrangler unlimited saharah with 91000 miles.
I have a clatter noise coming from under the jeep starting at about 20mph while driving. goes away in 4wd.
I self diagnosed it and traced the noise down to the transfer case. I then got a second, third, fourth and fifth opinion. 3/5 say transfer case 2/5 have no idea.
I looked into the issue and learned alot about the transfer case and how it works, aswell as results from transfer case parts failure.
I ended up purchasing a remanufactured transfer case. I installed it last night. propler torque, proper fluid and amout, nothing is loose, nothing is missed, everything is exactly the way it should be.
test drive......hear the same noise, just alot quieter....
I have no idea what it could be.
Brakes are good. rear dif is good, trans is good. i have no idea what it could be.

does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

I am about to move i about a week. it is 10-12 hours away from where i am now. i want to figure it out befor i move because i have to drive the jeep, and tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer, and i cant afford to have things fall appart on me.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

I know this might sound ridiculous but have u triedto look at the easiest thing - heat shield?

Mine had that issue... And it sounded worse than it was

Good luck man
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 07 has that same noise, it goes away after being warmed up to operating temp. It's exhaust / heat shield related on mine. Just haven't found it yet...
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep-creep
My 07 has that same noise, it goes away after being warmed up to operating temp. It's exhaust / heat shield related on mine. Just haven't found it yet...
Check the exhaust pipe/ heat shield that crosses from the passenger to driver side. I just bent mine to minimize the chatter. I probably have caked mud and rock between the shield and pipe too.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check if the exaust is resting on the trany skid plate. Until warm up, mine rattles because of this!

Quick Reply: Clatter noise from under jeep while driving...