Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

clank or pop when I start moving from a stop.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clank or pop when I start moving from a stop.

I have about 24k miles, 10k of them with the 3.5" teraflex spring kit installed.
I have this pop or clank, from the front end, when i start moving from a stop, either forward or reverse. I thought his was my control arms but I rechecked, and torqued them down again to make sure.
I also jacked up each of the front wheels and tried to wiggle or find any play in them. Found nothing obvious.

While i was looking around and thinking under my jeep I just happened to wiggle my front drive shaft and there is a small amount of play in it. You can make a little clank by hand by rotating it back and forth.

To test the theory out I tried going to 4 hi and testing but I could not reproduce the clank at all. I shift back into 2 hi and the clank starts up. i can make this noise happen in forward or reverse.

What else could it be?
Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

(ive been searching and still am for any similar posts)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am actually having this same issue. Sounds like a dull pop. I just put on lcas with flex joints and was thinking they could be the cause. I initially thought shocks or control arms bolts. All bolts are tight though. Going to regrease the control arm joints. Remove axle side bolts and work the joint to spread the grease better. Then retorque the control arms with vehicle on the ground. I will see what happens.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

hmm i have a similar problem
Old 01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, I also read about the boot but I checked and it looks just fine.
The pop happens almost every time I start from a stop, either going in reverse or forward.

In a act of frustration I sort of rocked my jeep back and forth several times in my drive way today to see if i could make it worse or find a pattern. All I found was the clank happens from a stop.

Thanks and please keep the ideas coming. I would really hate for something to snap while driving on one of my 4 hour drives from home.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have a similar noise/vibration in mine right around 1500 RPM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone find a possible cause for this. I have a teraflex 3" lift and have a pop from the rear undercarriage after going about 5 feet or so forward from a stop. I have looked under and everything appears tight.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same here when I start from stop. 4" LCG kit. Put still love it
Old 04-21-2012, 08:35 PM
JK Junkie

check your rear drivers side coil where the track bar bolt goes through the supplied TF bracket. I had an issue where the coil was hitting the bolt when I would take off and the back of the jeep would squat down
Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
check your rear drivers side coil where the track bar bolt goes through the supplied TF bracket. I had an issue where the coil was hitting the bolt when I would take off and the back of the jeep would squat down
Will do thanks for info.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

I have some noise in my font and and its been driving me nuts. retorqued everything and yesterday I discovered that my spring is not notched correctly on the drivers side perch on the bottom. I think its been causing a lot of the noise. As soon as I get it rotated back into place I will be able to tell.

Quick Reply: clank or pop when I start moving from a stop.