Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Chrysler Voided My Engine Warranty for Using their Mopar Cold Air Intake.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario,_California
Old 11-16-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jesus flipping Crybabies. The OP's info read Ontario, CA so excuse freakin me if I thought it was the Canadian Ontario. My bad.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take it to Redlands Chrysler and Jeep.
They are Mod friendly, and have no trouble warranting legitimate problems.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRooster
Jesus flipping Crybabies. The OP's info read Ontario, CA so excuse freakin me if I thought it was the Canadian Ontario. My bad.
Saw this coming a mile away when you originally made the Canadian reference. Don't sweat it dude. It's the internet AND a forum which means if you say something is red, someone will inevitably argue that it's technically burgundy. If you say you like something, someone else will tell you you're an idiot because they hate it.

I have my favorite Cash picture for an avatar for a reason.....
Old 11-16-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Possible cause. Just like water, air will follow the path of least resistance.
With the pre-filter over the stock filter, is it possible, that the added restriction caused the air to be pulled in through a gap, crack, or some other opening in your intake tube between filter and the throttle body.

It is unlikely that BOTH the filters failed. If they were installed and properly seated then the debris had to be pulled in downstream of the filter

If that's so, maybe the dealer didn't properly install the intake or the intake tube failed in some sort of way.

Just a thought.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3Lug
Possible cause. Just like water, air will follow the path of least resistance.
With the pre-filter over the stock filter, is it possible, that the added restriction caused the air to be pulled in through a gap, crack, or some other opening in your intake tube between filter and the throttle body.

It is unlikely that BOTH the filters failed. If they were installed and properly seated then the debris had to be pulled in downstream of the filter

If that's so, maybe the dealer didn't properly install the intake or the intake tube failed in some sort of way.

Just a thought.
Must agree with the possible scenario that 3Lug states. Air, like water, will find the smallest void to be drawn through and it's quite possible that the air filter was doing it's job but some small crack, slit or other opening allowed the dirt to be ingested into the engine. How else can we explain the large amount of dirt in both the throttle body and engine? Must be some simple reason. It appears that the dealer is not making it up or fabricating this, it was shown to the OP. I'd have a hard time explaining how it happened also. The dealer is just reporting what they found. I know we all hate dealers, but this could be a reasonable diagnosis by them. Regardless, the situation sucks.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Since Redneck Jeep is no longer a participant on this forum, let me parrot what he used to say years ago: High performance air filters are high performance because they let more air through. They do that by also letting more fine particles through. They have no business on a Jeep that is taken into dusty situations (Mojave Trail)--they are a street-only mod (he actually didn't even like them for that).

I have a friend who is most insistent that I am wrong about this. He insists that K&N filters are the best thing going. But, in this case, I trust Redneck Jeep, with four decades experiences as a mechanic, more than my friend, who knows more about his Corvette than his Jeep.

Get a Wix or similar quality filter in the OEM housing. Avoid CAIs and other "high performance" filters. Sorry for OP that you are just further evidence of what Redneck Jeep used to say repeatedly on this forum years ago.

As for buying an OEM manufacturer part and having the connected parts covered: I've never heard of such a thing. Read those exclusions and limitations in the warranty carefully. They virtually all exclude related and incidental damage.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Since Redneck Jeep is no longer a participant on this forum, let me parrot what he used to say years ago: High performance air filters are high performance because they let more air through. They do that by also letting more fine particles through. They have no business on a Jeep that is taken into dusty situations (Mojave Trail)--they are a street-only mod (he actually didn't even like them for that).

I have a friend who is most insistent that I am wrong about this. He insists that K&N filters are the best thing going. But, in this case, I trust Redneck Jeep, with four decades experiences as a mechanic, more than my friend, who knows more about his Corvette than his Jeep.

Get a Wix or similar quality filter in the OEM housing. Avoid CAIs and other "high performance" filters. Sorry for OP that you are just further evidence of what Redneck Jeep used to say repeatedly on this forum years ago.

As for buying an OEM manufacturer part and having the connected parts covered: I've never heard of such a thing. Read those exclusions and limitations in the warranty carefully. They virtually all exclude related and incidental damage.
Don't have a clue who redneck jeep is but he's 100% correct. That's the trade off of high flow filters and it's a minimal trade off at that. I used to run them in my race and some street cars, but I personally would never do so in a dusty environment.

Also, it's extremely easy to over oil the oil-type filters and I've seen a lot of "contamination" down the induction system from excess filter oil. I'd also bet most clean them too often as well. They'll go a long while before cleaning's needed and with each session comes more excess oil. Not to imply any of this is related to the OP, but food for thought.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Voided My Engine Warranty for Using their Mopar Cold Air Intake.