Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Choosing a new lift

Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a new lift

Currently running a 2.5” teraflex lift on 35’s but 2.5 just ain’t doin I.T for me. I know more complications come with any lift over 2.5 and right now I’m stuck between choosing the two lifts pictured below. My jeep is mainly my DD with occasional wheeling in the Catskills and the weekend beach runs. I want the feel of the ride to be quality. Which of these lifts should I choose and whichever one what other components should I get that these kits don’t include

Old 04-11-2018, 11:57 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

You can't go wrong with Metalcloak. If you can swing paying for their full set of arms, you won't be disappointed. You're likely to see more than 3.5" of lift out of their 3.5" springs......and although you can live without pushing your wheelbase back out a bit (as it shrinks when you're lifting), it's ideal to have the arms which will allow you to both position the axles AND set caster/pinion angles. Although the lower lift is less expensive, they are basically only providing the front upper arms to correct the caster.

I would just add....since so many people see the price tag and that becomes a hinderance......this is not money flushed down the drain. Should you ever sell the jeep, you could pull all or part of the components off for resale.....especially the arms.

Last edited by resharp001; 04-11-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You are looking at the 3.5" coils? 2door or 4door? How heavy are you running?

I got over 4.5" of height with these 3.5" coils on my relatively light 4door. At that height, you should be researching draglink flips, and will want to keep an eye on the front driveshaft if it has not already been replaced (maybe the rear also if it's a 2door?). While you can get by with a single set of front arms, a full set would be the better choice.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

More adjustable links the better if you really want to dial it in. These are the same kits sans 6 extra control arms in the first photo listed. I doubt you will notice a ride quality difference between the two for what you do. I agree with nthinuf about drag link flip if you are over 3.5" of actual height in the end.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed the 2.5 Rocksport Gamechanger on my JK. I haven’t wheeled it yet, but the ride on the road is amazing. I’m glad I spent the extra. If you add up what it costs to upgrade the True Dual Rate to the Gamechanger, the Gamechanger is a way better deal.

My $.02

Quick Reply: Choosing a new lift