Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Choosing an on-board air system..

Old 12-15-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcole
If you can afford the VIair, save for an extra week and get the WARN compressor. At 90 psi it makes the viair stuff look like children's toys. I don't know anyone with a viair who says it fills their tires quickly.
Originally Posted by jcole
The other vehicle with the bigger compressor needs is my Hino which runs 47" Michelin XMLs and an air-shifted transfer case.
Let's keep this in perspective... I asked about something to air-up after a weekend beach run with 33's..

No question these rigs are bad-ass, but we're taking what started as a useful post and dragging it way OT.

Back to my dilemma...

Seems pretty common on the web that the Masterflow/Superflow MV-50 & the Smittybilt MV-50 are all the some unit. So, why would the Smittybilt average $30 more than the other two?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Let's keep this in perspective... I asked about something to air-up after a weekend beach run with 33's..

No question these rigs are bad-ass, but we're taking what started as a useful post and dragging it way OT.
So discussing the merits of one compressor over another compressor in a compressor thread is off topic ? I don't see anywhere where you listed a budget. If you can only afford a slow small pump, go for it. Personally for an extra $250 (or possibly the same price if found used) you could get something that is actually going to fill the tires in a decent amount of time. 12 - 15 minutes or more is a long time to stand around in a rain storm. Or 30 minutes for 2 vehicles.

Last edited by jcole; 12-15-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

consider the viair p-85. It works very well and it is fairly cheap. Get two if you are worried about speed.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm trying to gather information on a small compressor..

I am airing up 33's after beach excursions with the family.

I have a budget of $300 - $400, but less would be better.

I want to understand duty cycle and how impacts performance of the small compressors.

More details Page one, post six...

any relevant information is appreciated !!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Freak

I have the MV50 and run 37s. I use it only to air them when a big compressor is not at the ORP. It does the job slow, but does it and glad I have it! It can air up anything without a hiccup and I have Warn quick connects to connect to the winch leads without lifting the hood.

Now that I have an ARB, I will spend more to have a system. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks!

The more I am reading, the more I believe the MV50 is the best option. While I would love to have a high-end unit with a tank and fittings front and rear, the reality is, that would be overkill for my needs. I have other things I need to do to the JK and compromising on the compressor would leave me the funds to get most if not all of these other things done.

Now to find the right bracket.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

My Christmas present to me is going to be the Constant Duty on board system.
I hope this vid clip helps you out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6jK-ldMk6s
Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Thanks!

The more I am reading, the more I believe the MV50 is the best option. While I would love to have a high-end unit with a tank and fittings front and rear, the reality is, that would be overkill for my needs. I have other things I need to do to the JK and compromising on the compressor would leave me the funds to get most if not all of these other things done.

Now to find the right bracket.
You will find lots of great reviews on the MV-50, but more recent reviews show a big slip in quality. The ARB and Smittybilt are the same as the MV-50. After researching it a lot I decided to replace my old Black and Decker that Ive had for many years with a Viair. I have the Viair 85P (high volume) and 90P (high pressure). They are both great and affordable at Amazon.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mounted my 50 under the passenger seat.. Not very fast but who wants to hang out for a beer and chat about the day past??? Sign me up!

Yes, I wish it was quicker, but it gets the job done in time for a beer. Great talk & laugh times while airing. If they don't like it (no-compressor-cheap-friends) they can go ride on their rims! lol.

I don't like the idea of having it under the hood, heat and dirt will only hurt it. The MV-50 is small and fits nicely under the seat. My 2bits.

Some pics. First one shows view from outside, under passenger seat. Third is from front of seat. I leave air line connected to comp. and just stash it under the seat. It is hard wired to the battery and inline fuse is still there accessible by compressor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1694334059.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	250559

Name:	image-3197750917.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	250560

Name:	image-3537597497.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	250561
Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

couldn't find any numbers on the arb high performance compressor, it says on their website that u can air up 35" tires in about two mins each. What the real life take on it though?

Quick Reply: Choosing an on-board air system..