Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Choosing an on-board air system..

Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to install onboard air this summer.

I want to run an Air horn, be able to fill tires and run air tools.

I dont know much about air systems but i am guessing if i run an air horn i need a system that kicks on automaticly when air gets low in the tank. Constant air?

What system would be right for me?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MikekiM
But referring again to Woods Torture test, the value of the tank is limited.. according to Woods.. " If I fill the [2 gallon] tank to 145 PSI and turn the compressor off, the tank will fill one tire from 9 PSI to 18 PSI." Meh... other than for air horns, I don't know that I see value in that, unless I am missing something which is entirely possible. Someone enlighten me.
I got the Viair heavy duty kit from 4WD. They have a promo going on where besides the low price you get a free extra Viair compressor. I put it in my wife's car.

Anyway...one thing that made me opt for the tank and you did not mention was air-locker. I am planning to install the ARBs sometime and prefer to have them connecting to an air tank instead of directly to a compressor.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you can afford the VIair, save for an extra week and get the WARN compressor. At 90 psi it makes the viair stuff look like children's toys. I don't know anyone with a viair who says it fills their tires quickly.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcole
If you can afford the VIair, save for an extra week and get the WARN compressor. At 90 psi it makes the viair stuff look like children's toys. I don't know anyone with a viair who says it fills their tires quickly.
really my viar 440p fills 4 35's from 10-28psi in 12mins seems fast to me

haven't tried my 37's yet...
Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rexicon
really my viar 440p fills 4 35's from 10-28psi in 12mins seems fast to me

haven't tried my 37's yet...
That viair is rated at 3cfm @ 0 psi. The Warn compressors do 6cfm @ 90psi up to 8cfm @ 90psi depending on model. Basically they flow double the air when under 6 times the pressure.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

That viair is rated at 3cfm @ 0 psi. The Warn compressors do 6cfm @ 90psi up to 8cfm @ 90psi depending on model. Basically they flow double the air when under 6 times the pressure.
your comparing a $250 viar to the warn at $500 hmm yeah obviously the one for twice the cost is going to be more impressive, most don't need a $500 compressor to fill tires

Last edited by rexicon; 12-15-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

your comparing a $250 viar to the warn at $500 hmm yeah obviously the one for twice the cost is going to be more impressive, most don't need a $500 compressor to fill tires
The thread is about air systems. I mentioned that the Warn is a better compressor but more expensive. Personally the ability to fill a tire quickly, or an air tank, or run air tools directly off the compressor without the need for a large reserve. Or the ability to fill 2 vehicles' tires in the time others need to do one, is worth the extra initial investment.

Currently I'm running 47" tires (6 of them). The ViAir would have me sitting for 20 minutes per tire as they run at 50psi on the pavement.

LoL I can't post without laughing at my profile pic.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

The thread is about air systems. I mentioned that the Warn is a better compressor but more expensive. Personally the ability to fill a tire quickly, or an air tank, or run air tools directly off the compressor without the need for a large reserve. Or the ability to fill 2 vehicles' tires in the time others need to do one, is worth the extra initial investment.

Currently I'm running 47" tires (6 of them). The ViAir would have me sitting for 20 minutes per tire as they run at 50psi on the pavement.

LoL I can't post without laughing at my profile pic.
6 47" tires on a jeep Let's see some photos of this bad boy, what tire requires 50psi on a jk???

highjack over

btw: I was simply replying to your comment that the viair was slow which it is not if used for intended tire size.

Last edited by rexicon; 12-15-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

WOW... I feel the love. I started with woods set up and I loved it. I could fill my 35s in about 15 min. Having the tank has come in handy when camping, if you need to fill a quad or bicycle tire there is no need to even turn on the compressor, the tank has enough air in it to handle the job. When I went to 37s my air time dropped alot so I added a second viair 400 compressor and did the 4 at a time fill set up. I can air up all 4 37inch tires from 10 psi to 30 psi in 10 min. Its a little over kill but I love it!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-11_13-59-33_931.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	250406  
Old 12-15-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

6 47" tires on a jeep Let's see some photos of this bad boy, what tire requires 50psi on a jk???

highjack over

btw: I was simply replying to your comment that the viair was slow which it is not if used for intended tire size.
Well, slow is a relative term. 12 minutes to air up when a chevron gas station can do it in 40 seconds per tire is slow. Or 12 minutes for a vehicle but your cheap friends don't have air so you have to do 3 vehicles is slow. The viair is a quality product, and seems to be built sturdy. If I was to use one, I would run a large air tank with it.

My jeep is stock height with stock tires right now. I had 35's and a lift but I removed the lift and sold the tires. I will be running no lift and 35's soon as I do more expedition type exploration now than crawling. The lower centre of gravity appeals to me.

The other vehicle with the bigger compressor needs is my Hino which runs 47" Michelin XMLs and an air-shifted transfer case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20090228-hino5.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	250437  

Quick Reply: Choosing an on-board air system..