Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Choice of 15" wheels?

Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does everyone quote backspacing for the stock vehichle? What about those that are lifted? I am considering lifting my jeep with 2.5" TF BB and with such I read I need to get wheels with 4.5 back spacing.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SFBayArea
Does everyone quote backspacing for the stock vehichle? What about those that are lifted? I am considering lifting my jeep with 2.5" TF BB and with such I read I need to get wheels with 4.5 back spacing.
in a short easy explanation, the higher the number ie. 6" bs, the closer the wheel and tire are to components. the lower the number 3.75" bs, the further away the tire and wheel are from components. when you install a lift and change the wheels and tires, you have to pay attention to backspacing so your tire will not interfere or rub on anything.

4.5" of backspacing will usually put your tire and wheel far enough away from everything that you should not rub. usually you can run a rim with 4.5" and a 12.50" wide tire and be ok, but for example, my tire is 13.50" wide so 4.5" bs does not work for me. I have 3" bs to put my tire far enough away that I do not rub

hope that helped.

edit: below says 6" on factory wheels, I believe it is actually 6.25"
Wheels

JK wheels are 5 on 5 bolt spacing

backspacing - distance from the rear of the wheel to the mounting surface (inches)
offset - distance from the center of the wheel to the moounting surface (+/-mm)

15" wheel
some 15 wheels will fit depending on the manufacturer.
3.75 to 4.25 backspacing will be required depending on style and width of rim.

16" wheel
factory 16" wheels are 7" wide with 5.5" backspacing. (standard and optional X)
most/all aftermarket 16" wheels will fit reguardless of backspacing.
up to an 11.5" wide tire can be placed on the factory wheels but 1-1.5" wheel spacer will be needed

17" wheel
factory 17" wheels are 7.5" wide with 6" backspacing. (optional X, Sahara and Rubicon)
Optional X and Sahara 17" wheels are painted silver, Rubicon have a machined face
most/all aftermarket 17" wheels will fit reguardless of backspacing.
up to an 12.5" wide tire can be placed on the factory wheels but 1-1.5" wheel spacer will be needed

18" wheel
factory 18" wheels are 7.5" wide with 6" backspacing. (optional Sahara)
up to an 12.5" wide tire can be placed on the factory wheels but 1-1.5" wheel spacer will be needed_

Last edited by captjay; 02-18-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:37 PM
JK Freak

here is the longer, more complicated mathematical explanation

but it has pictures!!

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/t...do-they-relate
Old 02-19-2011, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Ya don't say...
Funniest thing I've read all day...the other group not running stock or aftermarket are the ones with their rigs on blocks waiting for the option of tank treads
Old 02-19-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captjay

in a short easy explanation, the higher the number ie. 6" bs, the closer the wheel and tire are to components. the lower the number 3.75" bs, the further away the tire and wheel are from components. when you install a lift and change the wheels and tires, you have to pay attention to backspacing so your tire will not interfere or rub on anything.

4.5" of backspacing will usually put your tire and wheel far enough away from everything that you should not rub. usually you can run a rim with 4.5" and a 12.50" wide tire and be ok, but for example, my tire is 13.50" wide so 4.5" bs does not work for me. I have 3" bs to put my tire far enough away that I do not rub

hope that helped.

edit: below says 6" on factory wheels, I believe it is actually 6.25"
Wheels

JK wheels are 5 on 5 bolt spacing

backspacing - distance from the rear of the wheel to the mounting surface (inches)
offset - distance from the center of the wheel to the moounting surface (+/-mm)

15" wheel
some 15 wheels will fit depending on the manufacturer.
3.75 to 4.25 backspacing will be required depending on style and width of rim.

16" wheel
factory 16" wheels are 7" wide with 5.5" backspacing. (standard and optional X)
most/all aftermarket 16" wheels will fit reguardless of backspacing.
up to an 11.5" wide tire can be placed on the factory wheels but 1-1.5" wheel spacer will be needed

17" wheel
factory 17" wheels are 7.5" wide with 6" backspacing. (optional X, Sahara and Rubicon)
Optional X and Sahara 17" wheels are painted silver, Rubicon have a machined face
most/all aftermarket 17" wheels will fit reguardless of backspacing.
up to an 12.5" wide tire can be placed on the factory wheels but 1-1.5" wheel spacer will be needed

18" wheel
factory 18" wheels are 7.5" wide with 6" backspacing. (optional Sahara)
up to an 12.5" wide tire can be placed on the factory wheels but 1-1.5" wheel spacer will be needed_
Thank you for answering some questions I had in mind. I have a jk X model with 4"teraflex and 37's, and 18" rims. I don't like the rims that ate on there( bought jeep with them on there already) and was wanting to get some black steel rims. This is my daily driver. My question is, what size should I get? I wheel often as possible.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you captjay. It looks like to be safe and make sure my wheel or tire does not rub after the lift kit installed I will probably need to look for 15" wheels with 3.75 or 4" BS.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 PM
JK Freak

no problem man, that's what the forum is here for, to help each other out. ask questions and do your research and your Jeep will turn out great
Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
To the best of my knowledge my wheels are 3.625" backspacing and the only problem is where the idiots put my wheel weights.
actually that's good you point that out, I'm not saying the bs has to be exactly 3.75, typically, as long as it is 4" or lower, then should be a good fit. but 3.75" and under seems to be the going number.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've seen the root cause on 3 sets of cragar soft 8's Jay. It wasn't the bs issue, it was the stamping. The bs would have just moved the outer rim of the wheel on the face.

The only reason a spacer makes a difference is that it puts some distance between the stamping edges and the caliper. And that's the key. Jeep has terrible tolerance allowances.

Cragar makes uniform product stamped for the same type of steel in the same temperature at the same psi day in day out. Our calipers have nearly a 1/4 inch deviation from one extreme to the other.

That's why the fit is so temperamental on most 15's.

Try a set of Stockton smoothies in any custom bs build you want. I'd bet they fit perfectly as there are no cutouts stamped in the wheel.,
Old 02-20-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Good point, I should mention that my rims are aluminum, so there is no stamped out pieces in the way.
I am actually too thinking of going with aluminum wheels to save some weight. Which wheels do you run on your rig and where did you get them?

Quick Reply: Choice of 15" wheels?