Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Choice of 15" wheels?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choice of 15" wheels?

Guys, I see that most people run stock and aftermarket wheels, but I see all of them 17". Coming from the truck world I understand that 15" wheels are much better for the offroad purposes. I used to have a simple black wheels on my Tacoma which were like $50 each, which was perfect for offroad.
Switching to Jeep (own it two weeks now) 2010 Rubi unlimited, I want to see if anyone knows what 15" wheel options we have for the JK? Preferably inexpensive in black.
Thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Black steel wheels are a dime a dozon, but getting the 5x5 bolt pattern is a little harder. Most wheels are 17's because of the larger brakes off-road vehicles run today.

Real off road vehicles (comp vehicles) run 17's. The taller tires allow for sufficient sidewall flex with the extra rim height.

I have a friend selling 15" champion beadlocks for like $400 (for the set), but the bolt patter is 5x5.5.

As a side note, vehicles that do wheel run aluminum rather than steel. They do so because steel bends rather than flexing, while aluminum flexes rather than becoming bent. I made the mistake of running steel rims one time, bent one on my first rubicon run and have run aluminum ever since.

Price is why most people run steel. In general they are substantially cheaper. If you like the look, get a mat black aluminum rim. Basic rims can be had for under $90 each.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Black steel wheels are a dime a dozon, but getting the 5x5 bolt pattern is a little harder. Most wheels are 17's because of the larger brakes off-road vehicles run today.

Real off road vehicles (comp vehicles) run 17's. The taller tires allow for sufficient sidewall flex with the extra rim height.

I have a friend selling 15" champion beadlocks for like $400 (for the set), but the bolt patter is 5x5.5.

As a side note, vehicles that do wheel run aluminum rather than steel. They do so because steel bends rather than flexing, while aluminum flexes rather than becoming bent. I made the mistake of running steel rims one time, bent one on my first rubicon run and have run aluminum ever since.

Price is why most people run steel. In general they are substantially cheaper. If you like the look, get a mat black aluminum rim. Basic rims can be had for under $90 each.

Good luck.
Um if your friend selling black wheels with 5x5.5 bolt pattern than I guess it is not what JK has? What is JK's correct patter?
Do you have any links to the wheels?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are not many choices for 15" and slightly more choices for 16". On the 15", it is very possible it will rub and not fit and you will have to grind a little off on the brake caliper. for whatever reason 17" and up is more popular, so the tire industry is giving way more choices and very few tires for 16" and under. the reading I have done seems like it is basically a gamble on 15" rims. Some fit and some don't.

I have 16" rims and it is hard enough to find tires

edit: bolt pattern is 5x5, seems to be that you should look for 3.75" or 4" backspacing

Last edited by captjay; 02-16-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Guys, I see that most people run stock and aftermarket wheels
Ya don't say...

Try Cragar Soft 8's. Summit Racing has them for cheap, if you can't find any local. And pay attention to the BS recommendations above. That gets them out far enough so you don't rub the calipers. Or have less of a chance, anyway.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Pro Comp 52s worked for me with no problems.

Don't listen to BKGM as he appears to be a bit cornfused.

He has an intersting opinion but we all know about those.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It has nothing to do with bs as to wether or not you will clear 15's.

Steel wheels are punched to give the shape and design on the face. This leaves a small lip on the back side of the wheel that aluminum and high quality steel don't have.

There are tons of 15" wheels available and plenty of great tire choices. Mb wheels and pro comp both do nice 15" alloys, pro comp, and Stockton wheel both make nice steelies.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Here's a good thread for you to read through.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-VS-15x8-Steel.....
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Goto national tire & wheel nd browse their site
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Harbourone
It has nothing to do with bs as to wether or not you will clear 15's.

Steel wheels are punched to give the shape and design on the face. This leaves a small lip on the back side of the wheel that aluminum and high quality steel don't have.

There are tons of 15" wheels available and plenty of great tire choices. Mb wheels and pro comp both do nice 15" alloys, pro comp, and Stockton wheel both make nice steelies.
sorry buddy but have to disagree with you on that one. it has a lot to do with backspacing. to be able to clear a wheel with more than 3.75" , one option is to run a spacer. a spacer changes your backspacing and then you will clear the caliper.

if it is true what you say, then why are the 15" wheels being made with 3.75" bs and 16" and larger are generally running 4.5" bs

when I said not many tire choices, i was assuming that the OP wanted some larger offroad tires. Thats my bad, once you start hitting 35s and above, there are not a lot of choices, not near as many as 17" and above.

Last edited by captjay; 02-18-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Choice of 15" wheels?