Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Chicago Electric winch

Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago Electric winch

Anyone out there using the chicago electric winch? If so how do you like it, price and where did you find it. Im really interested in one but cant find a 9000 anywhere
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people have winches as a glorified hood ornament...

That is to say that if / when they go off roading, it's rare enough and the trails are such that the likelyhood of them needing it is rare...

So I'm not going to sit here and tell you to run out and buy a warn.. I think that's the kind of winch you need if you're VERY serious about your hobby, and expect to use it more than once per month...

That established, I have not used that brand... but I am familure with it. IMO Harbor frieght tools (especially power tools) are the BOTTOM of the line.... so I would be concerned about quality, and reliability even if you only use it twice a year or less....

It's also a disrespected brand... meaning that as far as hood ornaments go.. It's not a good one.... maybe get a warn neoprene cover for it? LOL

I ended up buying a recon. It comes with the appropriate fairlead, is rated at 10,500, and the big kicker is Synthetic line. I'm under no illusion that it would outperform a Warn in a long term test... but the couple of times that I've used it so far.. I was very impressed for under $500...

It also makes a good hood ornament.. the synthetic is pretty.

One last thing... a winch is a major investment. You have to realize that when you walk into harbor frieght with your 20% off coupon, that you'll be immediately looking for recovery gear... an item that you DON'T want to skimp on... I baught the ARB kit.. and added an extra strap.. I have almost $500 in my recovery gear, bringing the total price of the winch up to almost $1,000.00

And let me tell ya something..... the recovery gear is FAR more valuable, and used FAR more often than the winch... buy it 1st if you can only afford one.

Quick Reply: Chicago Electric winch