Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Chevy 5.3 LS vs Hemi 5.7 vvt.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Venom Motorsports in Grand Rapids Michigan. Shaun runs this shop and does fantastic work. He put a 5.7 vvt hemi, 238 getrag 6-speed tranny, teraflex 4" long arm lift and a bunch of other stuff.

The tuning done on the hemi is awesome it performs flawlessly and everything under the hood looks like factory. If you decide on the hemi, I highly recommend Venom. Shaun is terrific to deal with and takes a personal interest in every job. His techs are very talented and it shows with the quality of the work they put out. I've been running my jeep for almost a year and the only issue I have had is the fact that its not my dd so I don't drive it every day. But it is definitely the most fun vehicle I have ever owned and driven.

It is a big decision and a costly one so whatever you decide best of luck and enjoy it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a choce of going 5.7 or 6.4 vvt hemi or Motech 6.2 LS3.

I am extremely happy with my build chevy LS3 with 6L80E tran along with Atlas. All jeep electronics work perfectly , plug and play kit. I purchased everything from Motech.

However i wasted my money purchasing exhaust from.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MoTech LS swap hands down. I'm currently saving $$ for this myself. I researched their company and reviews of their product/quality and found nothing negative. I also e-mailed them for info and had a reply within 30 minutes. In California you'd never get the LSx past emissions in a Jeep..... but since you're from Pennsylvania you have no worries. And, as a Chevy and Jeep owner.... pound for pound the LSx engine is far superior to the Hemi in both usable power and efficiency. Not biased or hating.... just stating my personal observation from driving or owning vehicles with both engines.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK07
This is Motech LS3 Conversion.
LS3 with Performmance Package using Truck Intake for more Torque Walknshaw Performance Tune Pushing 500 HP
If i do Hemi i will go AEV and if Chevy there is no one who can do better than Motech. Their kit is plug and play and evrything like cruise control, esp, all gauges work as promised.
Best thing is they even custom modify nee 2011 jk shifter to be used with 6l80e to use its bump shift feature which i can lock when i need. Truly amzing customer service and best in business

How did you get your wife to let you do that !!!!! dat's friggen awesome!!! is that snorkel in-taking air from the interior? Did Motech in Vegas do that? or did you do it yourself with their kit?

Last edited by ridelots24; 11-16-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just purchased a GREAT deal!! Just got a 5.7 Hemi with transmission out of a 2011 Jeep Commander that was in a rollover accident for $1,000.00. It only has 7456 miles on it. Right now the engine and tranny is in TX in the shop that's going to be doing the conversion for me this DEC. All parts are ordered to include the AEV kit with airbox and snorkel for a hemi and I'm only out of pocket 8K for the conversion minus the 1k for the engine and tranny for a total of 9k for a nearly new hemi and tranny. Now how much again was all the other conversions going to cost you? Do a little research, have some patience and like the movie "Field of Dreams" if you build it, they will come. I've been wanting to do this mod for awhile and I knew it was just a matter of timing and resources that it would eventually come together. Next project will be f/r dana 60s, either built or purchased. Which ever one is cheaper and provides the level of performance to get the job done.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Baddintentions4u
I just purchased a GREAT deal!! Just got a 5.7 Hemi with transmission out of a 2011 Jeep Commander that was in a rollover accident for $1,000.00. It only has 7456 miles on it. Right now the engine and tranny is in TX in the shop that's going to be doing the conversion for me this DEC. All parts are ordered to include the AEV kit with airbox and snorkel for a hemi and I'm only out of pocket 8K for the conversion minus the 1k for the engine and tranny for a total of 9k for a nearly new hemi and tranny. Now how much again was all the other conversions going to cost you? Do a little research, have some patience and like the movie "Field of Dreams" if you build it, they will come. I've been wanting to do this mod for awhile and I knew it was just a matter of timing and resources that it would eventually come together. Next project will be f/r dana 60s, either built or purchased. Which ever one is cheaper and provides the level of performance to get the job done.
Now that's what I call a good find
Old 11-16-2012, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baddintentions4u
Yep, great idea. I saw your thread on the subject, plan to follow progress!!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

LS for me. I have a 07 Z06 505hp and I get 28 mpg on the HWY.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cuongdyna
LS for me. I have a 07 Z06 505hp and I get 28 mpg on the HWY.
Can't really compare a needle to a brick. The Corvette is one of the most aerodynamic cars made while the JK is one of the worst.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranjr

Can't really compare a needle to a brick. The Corvette is one of the most aerodynamic cars made while the JK is one of the worst.
Just stating I like the LS motor and how efficient the LS motor is. Not that the JK would get that mpg. I know it wouldn't.

Last edited by cuongdyna; 11-17-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Chevy 5.3 LS vs Hemi 5.7 vvt.