Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cherry bomb exhaust or mbrp cat back

Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherry bomb exhaust or mbrp cat back

Just got a mbrp and was wondering which would be deeper and give a better tone, that or a cherry bomb? And would it be possible to run a cherry bomb with the mbrp kit? It's the 3.6 pentastar. Ill get a link to the exact kit up soon I don't know which one it is as of right now.

From what I understand a cherry bomb is just different kind of muffler.. Is that correct? A description would be nice if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cherry bomb is a glasspack.. Glasspacks were very popular back in the hot rod days because they are basically as close as you can get to straights while having a muffler.. The general rule to glasspacks is the shorter the louder but the longer the deeper. Most have an old school sound and pop quite a bit.. I have 2 30inch 3 1/2 diameter cherry bombs on my Chevy 2500 with a modded 6.0 and they are very loud and hot roddy sounding.. With that being said glass packs can wear out over time and the sound will change. I run a flow master super 44 on my jk and love the way it sounds.. I have personally never heard owned the mbrp but to me it sounds more like a modern exhaust whereas the glass packs are more muscle car sounding..... IMHO a v6 can just not make a glass pack sound just as it should, don't get me wrong, they don't sound too bad but they also don't sound like a roaring v8 people think of when they think of cherry bombs
Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Get the mbrp--great sound. I've had them on both my JKs. The sound mellows out after about 1000 miles. There are a bunch of clips on YouTube..plus great customer service!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to clarify, Cherry Bomb is actually an exhaust manufacturer, like Flowmaster or Magnaflow. They were the largest manufacturer of glass packs and that is what they are most associated with. Sort of like when people say they need to Xerox somthing rather than photocopy it. But Cherry Bomb makes several different mufflers, not just glass packs.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want super aggressive go flowmaster super 10. Super 44 also has a good deep tone and a bit mellower
Old 06-25-2013, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandell
Just to clarify, Cherry Bomb is actually an exhaust manufacturer, like Flowmaster or Magnaflow. They were the largest manufacturer of glass packs and that is what they are most associated with. Sort of like when people say they need to Xerox somthing rather than photocopy it. But Cherry Bomb makes several different mufflers, not just glass packs.
This is correct. I have the Rusty's Offroad exhaust which uses the cherry bomp pro which is a fully welded muffler similar to the flowmasters. Going on 2 years and I'm happy with it. Couldn't beat the price either..around 180. Not the best pic but you can see it here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2481.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	471874  
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my super 10

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ks2t8ozvemdy1kp/IMG_4141.MOV
Old 06-25-2013, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

i liked my MRBP as well, but get stainless. corrosion resistant, lifetime warranty and you get better clamps. i got the off road version on my 4 door JK and love it. but after almost a year with the MBRP muffler, i was wishing for something quieter. got my local off road guy to fit in a dynomax turbo muffler. couldn't be happier with it. it shuts up when cruising and makes decent noise under throttle. i also noticed better throttle response and regained bottom end power. MBRP mufflers are straight through and kill exhaust velocity which reduces pedal feel and bottom end power on N/A motors. but it picks up power in the mid-top range. i noticed a slight improvement in mpg with my dynomax compared to my MBRP. my experience only. some guys may differ.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Rusty's Offroad exhaust with a Cherry Bomb (not a glass pack) and I'm looking to replace it. The drone at crusing RPMs is horrible. Sounds great at idle and when you're on the gas, but when cruising, it's just aweful. I had a Flowmaster 40 on my fist JK and it was much better.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar to courtsm3 I also have a 4 door with the mbrp off road exhaust. Sounded great for a week, was hoping it would be slightly quieter, and kept waiting for it to break in. After a year and about 5-7K miles it never did. Its really personal preference but I'm not a big fan of the droning sound especially during the summer with the top off. With the hard top on it was slightly better, but my neighbors heard me coming. I hate being that guy.

Found a thread on this forum about adding a hush power right after the mbrp muffler inline.

Very happy I did this. Sounded much more tuned and quieted it down enough that you hear it but its not too loud. Also I got back a lot more low end torque. Seems to help create the needed back pressure.

Quick Reply: Cherry bomb exhaust or mbrp cat back