Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

checking deffirential oil

Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default checking deffirential oil

i was checking the deffirential oil and there was small pieces of metal in the oil, anyone knows what is it from?

the deffirential is working fine.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 PM
JK Junkie

What is your definition of small pieces? if it is fine almost sandy or even smaller type bits collected on the drain plug, that is normal. If there are some bigger parts, you may want to look into it....

How new is you jeep? Did you recently install new gears? your first diff oil change regardless will produce more, as the gears are breaking in....Any recent noises that would bring this to your attention of concern about your diff?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
What is your definition of small pieces? if it is fine almost sandy or even smaller type bits collected on the drain plug, that is normal. If there are some bigger parts, you may want to look into it....

How new is you jeep? Did you recently install new gears? your first diff oil change regardless will produce more, as the gears are breaking in....Any recent noises that would bring this to your attention of concern about your diff?
they are pieces of metal not too small.

i bought it in 2007, snaped the diff and changed it on the warranty and now it did more than 100,000km

no noises, the car is working fine, just thought i should ask and see if its normal.

its my daily driver car and i used to abuse it a lot in the desert every weekend in winter.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:11 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

what steve said. if it's like tiny flakes, that's normal. if you're seeing measurable chunks, you need to pull your cover off and examine the r&p.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
what steve said. if it's like tiny flakes, that's normal. if you're seeing measurable chunks, you need to pull your cover off and examine the r&p.
Aha

Guess i'll have it looked at then

Thank you both
Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Black rose
they are pieces of metal not too small.

i bought it in 2007, snaped the diff and changed it on the warranty and now it did more than 100,000km

no noises, the car is working fine, just thought i should ask and see if its normal.

its my daily driver car and i used to abuse it a lot in the desert every weekend in winter.
That is a clue. Could be pieces left from the previous failure.
Open it up, as said, and inspect for new damage, or damage caused by the pieces getting into the works.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Newbie

ok, so i checked the diff and guess what!...spider gears need to be replaced + diff cover!!!!

Quick Reply: checking deffirential oil