Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Checking for bent tubes and c's.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Checking for bent tubes and c's.

What is the proper way to check for bent axle tubes front and rear and check the c's for bending? I am getting the front axle sleeved and c's gusseted next month and would like to check for bending before driving to Cali from az. What can be done to the rear besides a truss to prevent bending? I think my paranoia stems from reading about so many bent housings on forums.

I haven't done any crazy rock krawling. I have bottomed out on the bump stops pretty hard a few times on dirt roads. 07 JK rubicon 2 dr w. Rk 2.5" lift 315/70/17 Bfg ATs on stock wheels and 102k miles...
Old 04-27-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

I'd be confident nothing is bent if an alignment check showed all four camber readings were good.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I'd be confident nothing is bent if an alignment check showed all four camber readings were good.
Thanks, that's great to know. I had it aligned by the dealer a few thousand miles ago. They didn't say a word about the camber...
Old 04-27-2014, 12:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You might be better off looking around for a shop that offers free checks, and actually looking at the printout, than going by what the dealership 'didn't' say.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Will do, thanks.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Freak

Ok, so I am back in AZ for the weekend in my garage. I measured the passenger side of the axle tube (long side) from the garage floor to the tube. I know this is very crude, how ever I am finding 3/16" difference in height between the two measurements. The axle tube nearest the wheel is 3/16" higher than directly nearest the differential. All 6" of the drivers side tube seems to be the same. Is this enough to possibly not be able to sleeve the axle? I am trying to find a good shop in the area to have it checked at.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Ok, so I am back in AZ for the weekend in my garage. I measured the passenger side of the axle tube (long side) from the garage floor to the tube. I know this is very crude, how ever I am finding 3/16" difference in height between the two measurements. The axle tube nearest the wheel is 3/16" higher than directly nearest the differential. All 6" of the drivers side tube seems to be the same. Is this enough to possibly not be able to sleeve the axle? I am trying to find a good shop in the area to have it checked at.
Not the best way to check. I've done concrete for 13 years and I will tell u that there are zero floors that are perfectly flat. Now if you move it somewhere else and read same thing then maybe
Old 05-03-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

I appreciate the advice on the floor, if it is bent less than 1/4" across the length of the tube is that too severe to get it sleeved and maybe trussed?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling everything out of the axle and using a straight bar to check it would be the best bet,but not what someone wants to hear. You could use a laser beam to see if its been "smiled" but it would take some time to measure and set up. Only other way would be to have a perfect flat surface for the axle to be measured off. There might be other ways, I tend to have OCD when measuring stuff.

Adding sleeves and truss will warp the housing, maybe not enough to matter but it will move. But most housings aren't perfect anyway.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 36Fan
Pulling everything out of the axle and using a straight bar to check it would be the best bet,but not what someone wants to hear. You could use a laser beam to see if its been "smiled" but it would take some time to measure and set up. Only other way would be to have a perfect flat surface for the axle to be measured off. There might be other ways, I tend to have OCD when measuring stuff.

Adding sleeves and truss will warp the housing, maybe not enough to matter but it will move. But most housings aren't perfect anyway.
Maybe I can get it to move the other direction.... Will running a slightly smiley sleeved, trussed axle be an issue?

Quick Reply: Checking for bent tubes and c's.