Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Check engine light after oil change

Old 05-11-2013, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light after oil change

Today I had my oil changed, should have done it myself but I didn't have time so I let my father take it to get it done and one of those quick change places. Well, I get in my jeep and turn it on and the check engine light comes on. I have been looking for about 30 minutes and have no clue what the problem is. Any ideas?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Also, in the 10 minutes I drove it, everything seems to be working fine
Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil change, I have to turn key to on position (not start) pump gas pedal 10 times and turn the key back to off.- to get oil light to turn off.

Or just disconnect the battery for a few minutes
Old 05-11-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK08MCS
Oil change, I have to turn key to on position (not start) pump gas pedal 10 times and turn the key back to off.- to get oil light to turn off.

Or just disconnect the battery for a few minutes
No. It's not the oil light, it's the check engine light
Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Have you checked for a code which may have been set?
Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Have you checked for a code which may have been set?
If you're referring to a code that an obd2 reader would give, no as I didn't get in the jeep until about 8 o'clock and don't own a reader. I was planning on having a diagnostic run tomorrow if I couldn't figure out the issue tonight
Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

It could throw a code for using the wrong oil weight. It should a stored DTC if that's the case and just take it to the dealer to get the right oil and have them clear it.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsjk
If you're referring to a code that an obd2 reader would give, no as I didn't get in the jeep until about 8 o'clock and don't own a reader. I was planning on having a diagnostic run tomorrow if I couldn't figure out the issue tonight
Here is how to do it without a reader. If you get the DONE message, with no codes, then try a reader, as the self method doesn't show all stored codes.

To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes:
1. Insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.

2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has logged any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s).

3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Here is how to do it without a reader. If you get the DONE message, with no codes, then try a reader, as the self method doesn't show all stored codes.

To check your Jeep JK Wrangler’s DTC codes:
1. Insert your key into the ignition, turn it to the ‘ON’ position but do not start the engine. Then, push the key into the ignition cylinder and while holding it in, turn it to the ‘OFF’ position and then back to the ‘ON’ position (3) times straight making sure to end with it in the ‘ON’ position. It is important to keep pushing in on the key to prevent it from catching at the different positions along the way.

2. If you do step #1 correctly, all your dash lights will illuminate and your odometer will show up as a series of (6) dashes. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has logged any DTC’s, they will be displayed soon after the dashes appear. Write down the DTC(s).

3. If your Jeep JK Wrangler has not logged any DTC’s, the dashes on your odometer will be followed by the message ‘-done-’. Turn your key to the ‘OFF’ position and you will in fact be done.
Thank you. I will try that and let everybody know how it goes
Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Ok. Just did that, got "P 0455" and a quick google shows that this is "evap leak monitor large leak detected" and people were saying that means the gas cap isn't on. Which I just checked and it is. Any more ideas?

Quick Reply: Check engine light after oil change