Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

cheapest gear/locker/axle upgrade for the sahara

Old 07-27-2009, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheapest gear/locker/axle upgrade for the sahara

I have a 2007 sahara 2dr 3.21 I do mild offroading which really means i have some fun evey once in awhile offroad for fun but 5.5 months of the year im driving in the mud and sticks to and from deer stands and or deer related business. I want to add a locker and gears to my jeep. i currently run 33's with a stock drivetrain. my next tires will be 35's and i want to regear. I think the 4.88's an aussie locker (front or rear?) and evo gussets and sleeves will be good for me? Is that overkill or maybe not enough? Like i said i do mild offroading out of deer season but if i had a better setup i would love to do more. My dilema is i cant be throwing thousands of dollars around if shit breaks. My jeep isnt my daily driver but i just cant throw that money at my jeep AFTER i upgrade! Really i just want some input on a good locker and axle setup i could run 35's. I know there are plenty of threads and i have done my share of reading but when you say easy on the skinny pedal you mean easy on it when? When offroading? When on the highway? Just always? You have to explain things to me like a child.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

First off, bow or rifle??

Off the skinny pedal means says you're in the mud and rocks and you hit a dry spot and your heavy on the gas and the wheels are spinning then all the sudden they hit good traction. That's a heavy shock to the drive train and may cause a breakage. I'd say it the worst out west with lots of rocks where on tire can be up in the air then suddenly hit traction as the Jeep rocks one way or the other as you try to get outa of wacky predicament. Some people finese their way through the sections, others hit the gas and point the tires towards their way out. The latter is fun to watch for sure, but it's hard on the drivetrain.

35s mud terrains and 5.13a will be a potent combo in the wood and mud. Lockers would be nice and I guess if I had to pick one it would be the rear as you can leave it on in more places than the front. Its hard to steer with the fronts locked up.

Lastly, get the C gussets and call it good.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input and i do rifle hunt but im a die hard bow hunter. Anyone can squeeze the trigger on a gun but bow hunting is an art. I will be regearing for the 35's so i thought an aussie locker would be ok since its a cheaper locker. I see what you mean about the skinny pedal i was just never sure on what exactly people meant on that subject so thanks. So the c gussets would be good enough as far as an axle beef up? And install or overhaul kits for the gears?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go do a search on youtube for "how to break an axle". Then you will see why you want to stay off the skinny pedal. You will see guys redlining their rigs with all 4 tires spinning........then they catch a little traction and BANG, they snap an axle. The sound is aweful enough for me to learn from someone elses mistake.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

I have a Diamond Marquis. It's only my 3rd bow but I love flingin arrows. Hopefully a big buck will step out in front of one this season.

Your Sahara has a D30 up front and that is your issue. 5.13s will multiply the torque to the axle shafts and u joints (by 5.13 rather than 3.21) making them more likely to break, but like what's been stated, if you're easy on the skinny pedal, you should be fine. A guy on this forum recently twisted the end off his chromoly axle shaft in a D44 in deep mud so with enough skinny pedal, most anything can break.

There's really no such thing as an unbreakable axle, let alone a D30. If you're on a budget like most of the rest of us, then use care when trying to throttle out of a situation. The ring and pinion is you're weakest link, after that the u-joints. Keep in mind that individual ears on the u-joints are more heavily loaded when the front tires are turned and the more extreme the turn, the more unevenly the ears will be loaded.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is a redhead xsc-33 its not a crazy high dollar bow but i have killed a of deer with it. Last season i stuck a real nice 10 pointer but the shot i made on him was poor and i never found him. I lost a lot of sleep over that deal. i hope i didnt even kill him now.
What about an aussie locker in the rear? What are you thought on the auto lockers. It is a lot cheaper and still locks in i was thinking about going with that in the back 44. Also i was thinking about doing 4.88's which are not as small of teeth as on the 5.13's and i think the 4.88's would be good with my setup. Any insight on that? The c gussets you think will do me? I noticed ore axle sleeves and c gussets together would be around 260 unless i saw it wrong. A carrier in the front to insatll the gears in my 30? I keep reading i would need a new carrier is this correct? Im no mechanic and ask a lot of questions most people know but i want to get the full picture on this before i start ordering stuff.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why did you go with the locker up front? Just curious as to which route i should go. Im not getting lockers in front and back just one but didnt know if the front or the back would be better. I had assumed the back.

Quick Reply: cheapest gear/locker/axle upgrade for the sahara