Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cheap tire carrier

Old 09-07-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon1024
that helps out with whole thing falling off but it doesn't do anything for the actual hinges itself... which tents to be one of the bigger problems...

People are carrying 37" tires on their Smittybilt carriers without any problems that I've heard of to date. I don't see how 35's would pose any problem. The problem lies in using the stock carrier which causes a large tire to hang out too far from the tailgate with too much leverage. When you go over bumps the whole tire will shake and can stress the hinges and weld spots. I ratchet strapped my 35" to my roof rack because it was bouncing around on the stock carrier so much...that helped a lot. With the Smittybilt carrier, the tire sits close against the tailgate and snug up against the braces to prevent any movement. For a hundred or so bucks, I think it's a pretty good set-up.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 09-07-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id love to hear from someone who has one of the smittybilt and see what they have to say about it...
Old 09-07-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I vote OR FAB. Although you should get what works for your needs, that's my vote.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:37 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock tire carrier on my wifes JK has developed cracks in it from carrying a 35. It is now in the back.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

i say save up and start looking at craigslist i got my rear bumper from RR in craigslist real cheap it look new too and i just order the tire carrier from dave when he had the laborday sale, so just wait and look around
Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id love to hear from someone who has one of the smittybilt and see what they have to say about it...
I actually posted a thread a while back asking the same question, but I think most people on this forum usually just go with a dediated tire carrier/bumper unit, so not too many replies. After reading through several threads on other forums though, I was unable to find any negative reviews on the Smittybilt carrier. Here is the thread I was referring to...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/arch.../t-173268.html

I guess it's just a matter of figuring out which sytem works best for you. Anyways, just trying to help out.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 09-07-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Smittybilt with 33's. Been on for three months. Granted, there's not as much weight as with a 35, but I've had not one problem. Installation was a breeze and it looks great. Have had it off road multiple times with no rattle and no tailgate issues. Only complaint I had was with the bolts that secure the brake light. They are tiny and were a bitch to tighten. Plus, the light is just a little cockeyed. Honestly, no one probably even notices, but my OCD gets a workout every time I look in my rear view mirror.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer this tire carrier/security system in one. If you look around you can find one cheap and sometimes even free.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Bestop is "supposed" to be coming out with a rear bumper/tire carrier that swings out with the door like AEV's at 1/2 the price. I've been waiting since EJS???

Quick Reply: Cheap tire carrier