Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cheap mod, Works great!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Cheap mod, Works great!

After finally getting my 08 jk, (finally) before I even drove it, I went to the local hardware store and got a roll of black Gorilla brand duct tape, This stuff is awesome, and covered every hole on the frame that I could find. This will keep the mud, dirt, and sand out of the inside of the frame rails, preventing extra weight, and corrosion. the tape is almost invisible, and holds up very well, even while pressure washing. I am new to this forum, but I have been around Jeeps and automotive related businesses all of my life, and now have my own auto body shop. This little trick will save a lot of headaches down the road. I will try to post some pics of my wrangler when I figure it out, and find some more time.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please post pics!!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes Pics Please!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rubi2004,

This is something that has been done for years up here in NJ. Your right it does work. But please post some picks so others might see........
Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

we were all waiting for it

Old 01-08-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

You made me laugh because this does work on Jeep soft tops. Never would try it on a frame I've used combinations of duct tape then RTV sealant for years on Jeep soft tops. Most were holes caused by direct tree branch punctures or just general wear from tree branches. This provides about 1 year of seal, left to the outdoor elements, before re-application. While Gorilla glue would work, I would still prefer the flexability of RTV.....On top of good quality duct tape
Old 01-08-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldnt it trap moisture?? and rot i know you cant seal the whole thing so ????
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

it seems that you would be doing more harm than good.

water/dirt is going to get in the frame rails reguardless of the amount of tape you have over the holes (the ones you can see).

by covering the holes arent you trapping the dirt/water etc that would normally leak out or vibrate out of the jeep?

i would at least leave some holes on the bottom surface of the frame rails open as "drain holes" otherwise you may trap mor dirt/water than if you didnt tape anything at all.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:16 PM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

As said above...i have seen rotten frames because of moisture not being able to escape out...and all other dirt. I usually park my jk frontwheels on higher ground then push pressurewasher into whatever holes thera are at front frame and watch dirt flowing out at the rear end. For me this works because i dont have any bumpers at all, front or rear.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Am I the only one that thinks these Jeeps (maybe all Jeeps I don't know) seems to be showing rust pretty quickly?

Quick Reply: Cheap mod, Works great!