Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Charger/Magnum HEMI

Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charger/Magnum HEMI

Will the Charger/Magnum HEMI/tranny work in the JK or is something on there "car" specific?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was wondering about the 300 also

I see lots of Charger/Magnum/300 Hemi's on ebay
Old 10-01-2008, 04:09 AM
JK Super Freak

I was even wondering if it'd be possible to swap the engine/tranny out of a Magnum, then keep on going on the inside and pull the leather seats out and swap them into the JK. They're pretty close in size inside, I think, if I was looking at the right specs. I just wonder how hard it'd be to mount them.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that the accesories on the Charger/Magnum would not work with the AEV kit (I think it is because they stick out too far, and could get into the radiator, but I am not sure). Also you would need to change the transmission to a 545RFE.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

HEMI Jeep...

But i would be interested too if this HEMI would work, as they can be had quite cheap.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Most of the swap harnesses on the mark are actually meant for the LX series Hemis. If you use a truck engine they need to modify the harness. The main difference is in the location of the alt, ac compressor and ps pump.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Jedi

Try this link DSY did his own 5.7L Hemi swap from AEV....I am pretty sure the motor and tranny are from a LX platform (charger/300C/defunked Magnum). He did an awesome job!!!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/my-motor-swap-build-55111/

I thought about doing this swap on our JK by using the Hemi/tranny out of my 06 Magnum RT AWD.....but with the discontinuation of the Magnum back in June 08......I think the Magnum maybe a collector

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 10-01-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Try this link DSY did his own 5.7L Hemi swap from AEV....I am pretty sure the motor and tranny are from a LX platform (charger/300C/defunked Magnum). He did an awesome job!!!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55111

I thought about doing this swap on our JK by using the Hemi/tranny out of my 06 Magnum RT AWD.....but with the discontinuation of the Magnum back in June 08......I think the Magnum maybe a collector
He bought his new, and then ordered all the accesories for a Grand Cherokee/Commander. The block is the same amongst all of them, the difference is the transmission, and accesory locations, and spacing. AEV has said that the accesories from anything other than a WJ/XK will stick into their fender, and not work with their kit. Also they have said the transmission from the WJ/XK is what you need otherwise the clocking and output splines to the transfer case are not correct, and you will need to manufacture your own parts to connect the two.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Littlejon
He bought his new, and then ordered all the accesories for a Grand Cherokee/Commander. The block is the same amongst all of them, the difference is the transmission, and accesory locations, and spacing. AEV has said that the accesories from anything other than a WJ/XK will stick into their fender, and not work with their kit. Also they have said the transmission from the WJ/XK is what you need otherwise the clocking and output splines to the transfer case are not correct, and you will need to manufacture your own parts to connect the two.

Wouldn't the transmission work for the AWD version LX platform since it also has a transfer case????
Old 10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Wouldn't the transmission work for the AWD version LX platform since it also has a transfer case????
I think the input shaft into the transfer case on the AWD cars has a different spline count, so you would need so change the output shaft on the transmission. I am assuming Dave must have been getting a lot of these questions at AEV because he just posted this up this afternoon.
Engine:
Yes the car version of the HEMI engine can be used. You will need to replace the Altenator (its a different style of charging system), the PS pump will need to be replaced with an SRT8 WK pump, and the AC pump will need to be replaced with a Commander pump for packaging concearns with the AC lines. Some motors will also need the Cam sensor replaced. The exhaust manifolds will need to be changed to the WK/XK style as well. A complete Bill of Materials (BOM) is included with the kit with all the Mopar part numbers that are required.

Transmission:
No, the A580 transmission can not be used at this time, although we are working on a kit that will use the A580 transmission that is used in the 5.7/6.1 cars and SRT8 Grand Cherokee. IF you buy a car engine, you will need to buy a Dodge Truck, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Commander 5-45 transmission as of Sept 08.

dh

Quick Reply: Charger/Magnum HEMI