Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Changing Rear Upper CA's...WTH?!!? Help lol.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM
kb1
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Rear Upper CA's...WTH?!!? Help lol.

Ok, so I was going to change my rear upper CA's today and noticed there is no way to do the passenger side unless you drop the gas tank. I'm hoping this is a stupid noob problem lol. I know the drivers side nut is braced on the inside so it won't turn , but as soon as you take the bolt out the nut inside falls away. It's easy enough to put back in place, but on the passenger side there is absolutely no way to get your hand in there to reposition the nut if it falls away. Am I missing something? Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

I did the ones on my 08 without any problem that i remember. Have you tried it yet or just sizing up the job?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 AM
kb1
JK Newbie

Just sizing it up. I took the drivers side bolt out, and when I did the nut fell away. I just don't want to loosen the bolt only to have the nut fall away and then have to drop my gas tank to get my hand in there to reposition the nut. Maybe the passenger side has the nut welded to the frame? I figured I'd better ask before I tried it out.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both rear upper arms have flag nuts.. which r nuts with the big pieces of metal attached. The pass side one is a pita, because u cant see the backside of the hole like u can on driver side... So u need to get the bolt started blind. Took me 15min just for that pass side one.
They go up into frame where the lower arms bolt to frame.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep passenger side is a total PIA!! Took me forever to get it started back in. I was cussing and throwing shit I was soo frustrated. Then all of a sudden Boom bolt started. I hope I never have to take it out again!!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did mine last week. For the passenger side rear upper, I looked through the hole, lined up the nut by holding the tab, held it as firmly in place as I could, then with my other hand put the arm in, put the bolt through and it happened to grab the first time.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Just hold the retaining ring flat against the frame and it will start fine, didn't take me long at all
Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM
kb1
JK Newbie

Got it, thanks guys. Not going to be installing 'em today though. When I went to grease the frame side joints , the bushings got pregnant and one blew out. Weird, I prolly pushed too much grease in there or something. I sent an e-mail to Teraflex to see if they can help me out, prolly a newb mistake...Doh!

Quick Reply: Changing Rear Upper CA's...WTH?!!? Help lol.