Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Changing oil with RockHard skid plate?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing oil with RockHard skid plate?

What is the process?
Can you drain and replace the plug without removing the skid?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can there is a cutout that is very nice so that you can do it.

David
Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Yes you can there is a cutout that is very nice so that you can do it.

David
And there is an angled piece of steel in the cutout that keeps the oil from shooting on top of the skid.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't it have a sloped piece (sorry for crappy description) to help make sure the oil doesn't run all over in the pan? I think someone had raised a possible concern that the piece could puncture the pan. Is there any real concern with that?

Last edited by tgrt; 01-22-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: posted first part before seeing message before mine
Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tgrt
Doesn't it have a sloped piece (sorry for crappy description) to help make sure the oil doesn't run all over in the pan? I think someone had raised a possible concern that the piece could puncture the pan. Is there any real concern with that?
I'll have to take a look tomorrow, but I dont think it could. Its rounded and is not directly under the pan. I think the whole skid would have to break loose and shift forward to damage the pan. And if you manage that, I think the puntured oil pan will be the least of your worries. Im still gonna check it out tomorrow, you have me curious.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:59 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bly109
I'll have to take a look tomorrow, but I dont think it could. Its rounded and is not directly under the pan. I think the whole skid would have to break loose and shift forward to damage the pan. And if you manage that, I think the puntured oil pan will be the least of your worries. Im still gonna check it out tomorrow, you have me curious.
Yeah, now that I think about it that makes sense. The drain plug is on the back of the plan right at the bottom.

Quick Reply: Changing oil with RockHard skid plate?