Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Changing front Rubicon axle seals

Old 12-08-2015, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't gotten quite there yet. I have a set of Synergy seals already. We'll see once I get the old ones out if I have this other wonky setup.

I'm probably going to go a little DIY on the seal press with some washers and threaded rod.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,871 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I had never pulled that carrier out before and was pretty intimidated by the job. Had a friend come over to help but he had never pulled one either. I'll just say that everything was very straight forward. It's sure not rocket science. Just keep track of the few bolts and shims that are in there and where they came from. We used a tiny piece of wood i carved off a Home Depot paint stick and tied a piece of fishing line to it to hold the plunger in the proper position. Once the carrier was pushed back in place yanked the line to retrieve the small piece of wood. If it's the stock carrier, odds are you'll just have one 3mm shim on each side to keep track of. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stayed with the 1 piece seal.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resharp001
I had never pulled that carrier out before and was pretty intimidated by the job. Had a friend come over to help but he had never pulled one either. I'll just say that everything was very straight forward. It's sure not rocket science. Just keep track of the few bolts and shims that are in there and where they came from. We used a tiny piece of wood i carved off a Home Depot paint stick and tied a piece of fishing line to it to hold the plunger in the proper position. Once the carrier was pushed back in place yanked the line to retrieve the small piece of wood. If it's the stock carrier, odds are you'll just have one 3mm shim on each side to keep track of. Good luck.
On the front diff I didn't need to hold the plunger open when reinstalled the carrier. Only the rear diff needs the plunger to be held open when reinstalling the carrier. Also when I took my carrier out I had a few shims on each side. Some were very thin. Always reinstall the carrier and shims as an assembly with the thin shims in the middle. I tried to put the shims in one by one after putting the carrier in and by the time I got to my last two shims it was a tight fit and ended up cracking a couple shims getting them in. Not good
Old 12-08-2015, 01:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Monte417
On the front diff I didn't need to hold the plunger open when reinstalled the carrier. Only the rear diff needs the plunger to be held open when reinstalling the carrier. Also when I took my carrier out I had a few shims on each side. Some were very thin. Always reinstall the carrier and shims as an assembly with the thin shims in the middle. I tried to put the shims in one by one after putting the carrier in and by the time I got to my last two shims it was a tight fit and ended up cracking a couple shims getting them in. Not good
Same deal with the plunger in the front ?

I had a single thick spacer on each side iirc (.040-.050) made up a L and R box to not mix anything up. I Shoved a rag in the gearing and turned the Pinion /DS to pop the carrier out. Putting it back was easy using a rubber mallet alternating sides.

Clean the crap out of the tubes. Shove a rag with brake cleaner through a few times.
Also grease the end of the splines to not damage the new seals.

All in all it wasnt that bad of a job.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Haven't gotten quite there yet. I have a set of Synergy seals already. We'll see once I get the old ones out if I have this other wonky setup. I'm probably going to go a little DIY on the seal press with some washers and threaded rod.
I have a Yukon press if you want to borrow it?
Old 12-08-2015, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in Ohio. Not like I can drive over. Are you willing to ship it to me? I won't need it for a while yet. Maybe a month or more.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Same deal with the plunger in the front ? I had a single thick spacer on each side iirc (.040-.050) made up a L and R box to not mix anything up. I Shoved a rag in the gearing and turned the Pinion /DS to pop the carrier out. Putting it back was easy using a rubber mallet alternating sides. Clean the crap out of the tubes. Shove a rag with brake cleaner through a few times. Also grease the end of the splines to not damage the new seals. All in all it wasnt that bad of a job.
You are running stock gears correct? Mine was regeared so the installer used more shims. The front plunger did not need to be held open when reinstalling the carrier the rear however did
Old 12-08-2015, 04:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I'm in Ohio. Not like I can drive over. Are you willing to ship it to me? I won't need it for a while yet. Maybe a month or more.
Yes lol

I actually still have the 2 part seals if you want them.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 12-08-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Monte417
You are running stock gears correct? Mine was regeared so the installer used more shims. The front plunger did not need to be held open when reinstalling the carrier the rear however did
Yep .........

Quick Reply: Changing front Rubicon axle seals