Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Changing front Rubicon axle seals

Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Changing front Rubicon axle seals

So, I have this Rubicon axle sitting in my garage that will eventually end up under my Sport. I have caught a bad case of "might as well"-itis.

The axle shafts are in the diff, but they are not supported by unit bearings. I am a little concerned that they have been sitting there like that too long (a few weeks) and may have deformed the seals. Lesson learned - don't leave axle shafts unsupported!

In any case, I think I want to tackle replacing the seals. Might as well do it now, when it's easier to work on. It seems fairly straight forward in removing the diff, taking care to note the placement of each part and putting it all back in exactly the same place, direction, etc.

I was looking for a write up on this, being that it has a locker, there may be some special considerations, but I couldn't find anything.

If you know of a write up, I'd appreciate the link, or even some helpful tips, gotchas, etc.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several videos on YouTube that show you how to remove the axles, carrier, gears, etc. Then you install the inner seals using a pipe and a large socket on the end by running it through the opposite axle shaft. I've heard people get them in without using this method but it's a little trickier.

Here's a video (I am not saying this is the correct or only method and watch out for a little bit of language):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvxKZbQArnQ
Old 11-25-2015, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

I've seen this one before. All of his video's are like that - colorful commentary. LOL!

I am interested, however, in issue as it relates to the locker (disconnecting, reconnecting the wires, etc.). I have read there can be issues with the indicator plunger, that if not done right, can destroy the indicator ($100 part - WTF?) or even damage the locker.

I need to be reassured I'm not doing something I shouldn't.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take pictures and lay everything out the way you took it apart. The locker isn't bad. Just looking at it you can see if it's in properly. I use a big piece of threaded rod, nuts, and washers to create a press inside the housing to push the seals squarely in place. Also, I use red loctite on the outside of the seals. When reassembling, grease the splines and use two people to put them in so they are just into the seal, then install the diff. This way you won't damage the seals on assembly as most do.

Do all this after we weld on your axle.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, you know what time it is?!?! It's f-ing beer time! Hahahaha
Old 11-25-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ringer
I use a big piece of threaded rod, nuts, and washers to create a press inside the housing to push the seals squarely in place.
I've seen some use ratchet extensions and large sockets.

Originally Posted by Ringer
Do all this after we weld on your axle.
I was going to ask you if it was OK to at least remove the locker before the welding.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I've seen some use ratchet extensions and large sockets. I was going to ask you if it was OK to at least remove the locker before the welding.
I like the smoother operation of pressing them in rather than hammering, but both work. I would leave it in till we are done.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I like the idea of a controlled press now that you mention it. I'll have to put one together. I ordered the seals yesterday.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main thing is the plunger has to be in the right position when you button up the diff up or you can be locked in 4WD and you will not be able to turn your steering wheel.... (ask me how I know... lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkehjgy4eC8
Old 12-08-2015, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Not sure if you've completed this task or not yet, but I thought this was worth mentioning. When I did this task several months back, I ordered what I could garner was the correct seal. Upon removing the carrier, realized the seals that were currently installed were a 2-piece seal. Ran down to the local dealership and the parts guys were clueless. What they looked up was the same seal I had purchased. Went home and installed the 1-piece seal with no issues. After completely the job, come to find out that sometime in 2013 Mopar started using a 2-piece axle seal. I just bring this up on the off chance that someone else notices the same thing and has concerns. I'd also mention that I purchased the Yukon press and it worked like a gem. Had not performed this job before and I didn't want any issues so paid up for the actual tool vs rigging up a homemade press. It a quality tool that I'll keep to lend to friends and hope that I don't have to use again.

Quick Reply: Changing front Rubicon axle seals