Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Changed my Diff cover - oil problems (pics)

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Chris I had the same problem with mine being over filled by the shop that did my gears originally, I had it come out the axle seal and diff breather, after correcting the level it did stop leaking from the axle seal....get some engine cleaner/degreaser and wash off the wheels/axle so you can check easier....yours may still leak it may not

I'd wait a week and see if it gets wet again.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkob1060
Hey Chris I had the same problem with mine being over filled by the shop that did my gears originally, I had it come out the axle seal and diff breather, after correcting the level it did stop leaking from the axle seal....get some engine cleaner/degreaser and wash off the wheels/axle so you can check easier....yours may still leak it may not

I'd wait a week and see if it gets wet again.
Awesome. That is what I was hoping.

Did you check into your locker/Diff cover issue to see if griding it down was the issue?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls
Even if this is the case. Will an axle seal leak when sitting, or only when driving?

Or does it just depend on how bad the seal is?
It could certainly leak while at rest. Imagine the Jeep parked on a hill with the bad seal on the downhill side.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

It definately depends on the severity of damage of the seal. I have seen and changed some axle seals that leak at a sitting point and when moving. So hopefully when you drain it to the proper level it should correct the problem
Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mutts08JK
It definately depends on the severity of damage of the seal. I have seen and changed some axle seals that leak at a sitting point and when moving. So hopefully when you drain it to the proper level it should correct the problem
It has been sitting a week while I was on vacation and there are no huge spots on the ground where it has been leaking.

I think all the oil on the driver side rear axle may have just made its way back there after it came out the breather from the front diff. I did drive 320 miles at 80 mph right after the diffs were changed.

Like I said, after sitting for a week, there is no more oil there than when I took the pictures originally.

I will drain to correct levels, clean off excess oil and let her sit for a few more days to check for leaks.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls
Awesome. That is what I was hoping.

Did you check into your locker/Diff cover issue to see if griding it down was the issue?
I havent yet, I dont really have place to work on it down here, apartment wont let you work on vehicles. I would bet though that they didnt grind the cover, they messed everything else up I'm sure they didnt do that correctly

Where did you go on vacation? I could use a vacation from my vacation lol.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tkob1060
I havent yet, I dont really have place to work on it down here, apartment wont let you work on vehicles. I would bet though that they didnt grind the cover, they messed everything else up I'm sure they didnt do that correctly

Where did you go on vacation? I could use a vacation from my vacation lol.
St. Helena Island, SC

My family lives there.

Quick Reply: Changed my Diff cover - oil problems (pics)