Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Changed my Diff cover - oil problems (pics)

Old 12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
I assume you have the Dana 44. 4.75 pints = 2.375 quarts. The Riddlers are a bit bigger than the stock, so you are probably on the edge of being good. A tad more, however, might make the difference.
Yeah 44s. I noticed that smalls just installed SOLID covers, so I figured they used up a little extra oil too.

Up front I put in 1.5 quarts (FSM 1.35 quarts), and it was a tad too much. During the summer I got a little blow out of the breather tube.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

x3 looks like you may have over filled......if you look at the above pic with the diff cover and line.....if you actually filled that diff up to the fill hole.....since the hole is above the axle shaft and seal it will leak alot.......do you have factory cover or after market cover?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkpearl
x3 looks like you may have over filled......if you look at the above pic with the diff cover and line.....if you actually filled that diff up to the fill hole.....since the hole is above the axle shaft and seal it will leak alot.......do you have factory cover or after market cover?
SOLID covers.

I overfilled the front even more actually. So much that its coming out the breather. But not the seals.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls
I overfilled the front even more actually. So much that its coming out the breather. But not the seals.
Makes sense that it wouldn't in the front since the seals are by the diff itself. In the back, the seals are at the ends of the axles.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Makes sense that it wouldn't in the front since the seals are by the diff itself. In the back, the seals are at the ends of the axles.
And the lesson just keeps going.

What would I do without this forum?

Thanks man.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smalls
And the lesson just keeps going.

What would I do without this forum?

Thanks man.
Most of my experience comes from years of hands-on with various Jeeps, searching the web, hanging out at auto shops, and this forum - not necessarily in that order!!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the problem is my axle seals, will the oil continuously leak at this spot, or will it only leak when there is pressure on the seals?

I guess my confusion is what to do now that I am at the correct oil levels...

Wash it off underneath, run it and see if it leaks.... or just see if it leaks on its own...or something else?

Last edited by smalls; 01-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Keep in mind that there may be residual fluid from before the diff cover swap which may eat up some of the capacity...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is, of course another possibility. You may have found a "weak" axle seal. Synthetic oils tend to flow so much better than carbon based materials that they can very well make a leak "happen" where conventional carbon based oils would not.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
There is, of course another possibility. You may have found a "weak" axle seal. Synthetic oils tend to flow so much better than carbon based materials that they can very well make a leak "happen" where conventional carbon based oils would not.
Even if this is the case. Will an axle seal leak when sitting, or only when driving?

Or does it just depend on how bad the seal is?

Quick Reply: Changed my Diff cover - oil problems (pics)