Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Change rear axle seals, bearings?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change rear axle seals, bearings?

(2009 JKU-A, 50,000-miles) Gear shop recommends changing rear axle bearings, seals when upgrading gears. They’ve had instances of leakages after disturbing them during the work. Sometimes there’s no issues…sometimes there is. Is this sound advice?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

I think the front seals are more prone to leaking after being disturbed. I would change the front seals while the diff is out because if you don't, and they leak later, (which it might even if you do change them), the diff has to come out again.

The rear seals and bearings can be changed anytime without getting into the differential.
It's up to you if you want to take the chance. Peace of mind says change them. How much extra will they charge to do it?

If you do have them changed, make sure the mechanic uses NEW bearing retainer rings. The service manual doesn't say to use new rings, as it often does with some other parts. The rings are the only things that hold the axle shafts in place, so my suggestion is to not reuse once removed.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I think the front seals are more prone to leaking after being disturbed. I would change the front seals while the diff is out because if you don't, and they leak later, (which it might even if you do change them), the diff has to come out again.

The rear seals and bearings can be changed anytime without getting into the differential.
It's up to you if you want to take the chance. Peace of mind says change them. How much extra will they charge to do it?

If you do have them changed, make sure the mechanic uses NEW bearing retainer rings. The service manual doesn't say to use new rings, as it often does with some other parts. The rings are the only things that hold the axle shafts in place, so my suggestion is to not reuse once removed.
Well said!!

Quick Reply: Change rear axle seals, bearings?