Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Change oil from non synth to synthetic

Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5-7k with synthetic? Doesn't seem worth it to switch. I change dino every 6k, 3k is way too early to change even dino oils imo unless you're really driving it hard.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

If your burning oil that's the best reason to change to synthetic. It doesn't burn off like Dino. Your oil burning will stop 100%. I put synthetic in my z turn mowers for that very reason. I would have to add a liter every 3 days but on synthetic I never have to add any !
Old 09-15-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by amick218
5-7k with synthetic? Doesn't seem worth it to switch. I change dino every 6k, 3k is way too early to change even dino oils imo unless you're really driving it hard.
One of the bigger benefits of synthetic is at start up, especially in cold weather. Start up is when most wear happens.

Under the same driving conditions (duty cycle), synthetics can go significantly longer between drains. It's a function of purity and add pack chemistry.

Mileage-based drain intervals without being backed up by UOA or at least OCIs are a shot in the dark. (for syn or conv oils)
Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet

One of the bigger benefits of synthetic is at start up, especially in cold weather. Start up is when most wear happens.

Under the same driving conditions (duty cycle), synthetics can go significantly longer between drains. It's a function of purity and add pack chemistry.

Mileage-based drain intervals without being backed up by UOA or at least OCIs are a shot in the dark. (for syn or conv oils)
Good info, I'm in Florida, sometimes it's a chilly 60 degrees when I start up haha
Old 09-15-2013, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't see a difference yet but I'm happy about it!
Old 09-15-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by amick218
Good info, I'm in Florida, sometimes it's a chilly 60 degrees when I start up haha
HA! I was on the mobile site, couldn't see profile info.... (but technically, 60F is still a cold start!)
Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet

HA! I was on the mobile site, couldn't see profile info.... (but technically, 60F is still a cold start!)
I know the feeling, the app is all I use so I never see information like locations, signatures, etc.

Quick Reply: Change oil from non synth to synthetic