Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Change final drive ratio

Old 12-24-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change final drive ratio

I'm new to Jeeps with an 08 Wrangler X. It has the 3.21 final drive and drives me absolutly nuts. This thing is geared way too high - especially with six speeds.

Can anyone tell me what would be the easiest way to change the final drive ratio without just putting on smaller diameter tires. Front and rear diffs (should I go ahead and get a ltd slip if I'm there anyway? Transfer case? Cost?

I'll probably never do it because of cost involed. But why did they gear the thing so high (presumably for gas mileage) when it has a sixth gear that is absolutely worthless because it's so tall.

Also, is there a way to adjust the pedals to better allow heal and toe downshift throttle blips while braking?

If anyone's feeling generous with their knowledge and experience, I would appreciate it.

This is a great little community. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably find some slightly used 4.10 gears for pretty cheap in the "For Sale" forum on this board. You would still have to pay the labor to install. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Change final drive ratio