Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Centramatic's Continuous Wheel Balancers

Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centramatic's Continuous Wheel Balancers

Hey guys I have been looking at these....Centramatic's Continuous Wheel Balancers. I was wondering has anyone put a set of these on? Iam not going to post a link so search it. I dont want to offend or put up links that are not allowed. So if ya use please post up. Iam thinking of buying a set with my new tires.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Hmm, interesting thought. One thing I can think of that might cause an issue is the four wheel disk brakes. I don't recall how far (if at all) the calipers stuck out past the hubs but if they do you would have to put a spacer behind the balancers which could throw everything off.

Another thing to think about is they are apparently rather noisy under 10-20mph. I guess they sound like a bad wheel bearing until you get to higher speeds and the pellets (or BBs or whatever is inside them) even out.

EDIT: I don't know if it is allowed or not but "here is a demo" of how the balancers work for those that are curious.

Last edited by Locklain; 09-18-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by locklain
hmm, interesting thought. One thing i can think of that might cause an issue is the four wheel disk brakes. I don't recall how far (if at all) the calipers stuck out past the hubs but if they do you would have to put a spacer behind the balancers which could throw everything off.

Another thing to think about is they are apparently rather noisy under 10-20mph. I guess they sound like a bad wheel bearing until you get to higher speeds and the pellets (or bbs or whatever is inside them) even out.

Edit: I don't know if it is allowed or not but "here is a demo" of how the balancers work for those that are curious.
can't see the demo i'm at work, but it sounds similar to ballancing beads inside the tire. Whats wrong with the normal way
Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

the demo is really cool. i can't get one of my wheels balanced so i'm going to call these people on monday and see about getting a set
Old 09-18-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillionDollarDan
the demo is really cool. i can't get one of my wheels balanced so i'm going to call these people on monday and see about getting a set
I like the "idea" of dynamic balancers like this one (or other brands).....my concern would be a slow speeds, startups and stop and go traffic. You'll have t oreport back on your experiences.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi

Yeah they make the for the JK thats why Iam looking at them..200 plus tax right here in town . Iam getting a set as well when i get new tires. supposidly they prevent cupping and pramote even wear.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
Whats wrong with the normal way

Well cupping, loosing weights when you wheel. cost of rebalanceing.. just to name a few.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

I will be putting the lift on the Jeep starting tomorrow so while I am doing that I will check the caliper levels to see if these will even work. If they do I may be ordering a set as well. I have one tire that no one can balance . . . they all tell me the rim is perfect shape as is the tire so I have no idea why it won't take.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
I like the "idea" of dynamic balancers like this one (or other brands).....my concern would be a slow speeds, startups and stop and go traffic. You'll have t oreport back on your experiences.
yeah i wonder about the slow speed but i would really like to get this stupid tire balanced
Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

I have them, but not on the JK. There are 2 problems...
1.) Remembering to put them back on when you put the wheel back on. I am always taking the wheels off for work.
2.) Hitting a large bump in the road, throws off the liquid inside, starts a bounce. Slowing down about 5 mph helps recover the bounce and then you can resume speed.

They won't balance out an un-round tire. A person in the tire business tells us, you can balance a box on a tire balancer, but it won't be very nice to drive on. They are the equivalent of maybe 5 or 6 ounces distributed. Good for over-sized tires. Worthless for anything near JK stock wheels and tires. You are better off using the rim weights.

Quick Reply: Centramatic's Continuous Wheel Balancers