Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Centering the front axle tips...Help

Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centering the front axle tips...Help

Hey all, just wondering if you guys can give me a few pointers on assuring myself my axle is centered by tellin us the proper method(s) on how to measure and where?

I took my jeep to alignment shop after installing the lift and heavy duty adjustable track bar and they didn't even adjust it...
My mistake for taking it there!

Pics are greatly appreciated and any other methods that worked for you!

Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

JK Write-ups
At the top is an Index
Look for the DIY Alignment Write-up. It is in Suspension/Steering, and also the Torubleshooting sections.
The following users liked this post:
craneshane71 (08-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 PM
JK Newbie

hmmm, i need to get that done..
Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
JK Write-ups
At the top is an Index
Look for the DIY Alignment Write-up. It is in Suspension/Steering, and also the Torubleshooting sections.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The write up says to stand a long level on end and place on your front tires from top to bottom. Use the same point on both tires. I used the center cap of the wheel for placement. Next take a measurement from the edge of the level to your fender flare. Make adjustments on the front track bar until the measurement is the same on both sides. You will need to take it for a spin around the block between each adjustment of the track bar. This method worked for me.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep drives so much better after adjusting caster a little bit and adjusting my trac-bar a 1/4" and toe, finally re-centering my steering wheel.

Love JK-Forums!

Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rather than measuring to the fender, I measured to the frame. Might be a bit more accurate since you want to center the frame to the axle.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I did the Dodge and the Jeep was to take a Level and with the tires off hold it against the hub with the wheels as straight as you can get them. Measure a pre marked spot on the level or staright edge to the frame rail that has the exact same reference point on each side. Note your measurements and split the difference.

Problem with leaving tires on is the uneven surface , bulge and irregularities in the belts can cause a less than ideal surface. If you have just a rim that can work too but make sure the suspension IS LOADED. Up on jack stands taking the weight of the jeep just as it does when on the road.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Use the write-up from Project JK! Is absolutely simple!
After mounting my lift (post soon to come) I used these simple instructions to adjust the track bar and we ended up, according to the alignment shop I went after, at less of 1/8" on one side

Quick Reply: Centering the front axle tips...Help