Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Centerforce Clutch

Old 10-05-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centerforce Clutch

About 7000 mile ago I had my clutch and Throw Out Bearing replaced, Centerforce components were installed in place of the stock along with a new slave cylinder.

After about 2000 I started to get chatter from the transmission. I believed it to be the TOB.

About 1000 mile ago my new slave cylinder popped and I couldn't engage a gear so a new one was installed. I got the gears back. The chatter also seemed louder than usual so I had my guy tear it apart again and replace the TOB, this time a National Parts component was used.

Well everything is running fine for now but I'm still getting the chatter. Yes any pressure on the clutch pedal quietens the noise. The noise is more noticeable on long trips when everything gets nice and hot. Once I get back into town and start normal driving again that's when it's most noticeable. On start up the noise isn't there. But once you hear it it sounds like the typical TOB noise complaint in every other thread.

I firmly believe it's not the TOB now. Has anyone else experienced this with their Centerforce components?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I have had this exact situation with the stock components. They started making noise around 7,000 miles, but are still functioning at 65,000.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believed that because my new slave cylinder popped I may have done more damage as in my head the noise seemed to get louder. That's why I had the TOB replaced the second time. I also read somewhere about the CF clutch kit being the cause of the noise. Not sure how true that is though?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything related to the manual trans is a pain and a mystery. My issues are trans only, but with only 20k on it, I'll be surprised if third gear is working in a few thousand miles.

While making a new custom crossmember this winter, I noticed that the trans mount wasn't level. Took me a little bit to figure it out. The cast aluminum trans case is twisted. All I know is that it isn't normal. Cast aluminum can't bend. So, somehow I got a random junk case. Probably my issue. I'm sure stuff isn't lining up right internally.

Good luck man. So frustrating.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny how manual transmissions were supposed to be more reliable and robust. Both my Jeep and my wife's car are manuals and both have know problems. I had a 2005 Pontiac GTO with an optional manual T56 ($700 option) that had to be replaced too...

As sad as I am saying this, my next vehicles will be auto. Good manual transmission techs are becoming so scarce due to the manual transmission disappearing that it's not worth it.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

The noise is that bad I'm considering taking it to the dealership but I know I'm gonna get raped. The guy who did it is supposed to be the best in town. I'm at a loss.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bevan7170
The noise is that bad I'm considering taking it to the dealership but I know I'm gonna get raped. The guy who did it is supposed to be the best in town. I'm at a loss.
I'd succumb to the Stealership. Best of luck. Keep us posted. Ive had the centerforce clutch n bearing sitting in my garage waiting to go on.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 AM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Centerforce Clutch

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151011_123944.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	626976

I had the same chatter problem. Since the clutch was installed by mechanic, I immediately thought: "One thing I would not do myself and of course it will go bad."

See the attached picture. The balancing ring was stuck in the clutch housings, as opposed to free floating in the middle. My dilemma now is do it push it back in the middle and risk this happening again or do I get rid of the center balancing ring?
Old 10-11-2015, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm having the same kind of chatter. I thought I had a leaking rear main seal, so I decided to go ahead and have the clutch and TOB done since I was at 120k miles. Turns out that it was the oil pan gasket, so it was all in vain! Anyways, I started getting that small chatter less than 50 miles after leaving the shop. I took it back to them and they said that it was probably the new TOB causing the noise. However...since I had bought the parts beforehand, they wouldn't warranty the labor. If the lightest pressure is applied to the clutch pedal, the noise disappears. The pitch of the noise gets faster if you rev the engine. The new clutch was an OEM, and the TOB was Centerforce. Would you say it is the same issue? The chattering just pisses me off.

Originally Posted by lyd
Attachment 626976

I had the same chatter problem. Since the clutch was installed by mechanic, I immediately thought: "One thing I would not do myself and of course it will go bad."

See the attached picture. The balancing ring was stuck in the clutch housings, as opposed to free floating in the middle. My dilemma now is do it push it back in the middle and risk this happening again or do I get rid of the center balancing ring?
Old 12-23-2015, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsukey
I'm having the same kind of chatter. I thought I had a leaking rear main seal, so I decided to go ahead and have the clutch and TOB done since I was at 120k miles. Turns out that it was the oil pan gasket, so it was all in vain! Anyways, I started getting that small chatter less than 50 miles after leaving the shop. I took it back to them and they said that it was probably the new TOB causing the noise. However...since I had bought the parts beforehand, they wouldn't warranty the labor. If the lightest pressure is applied to the clutch pedal, the noise disappears. The pitch of the noise gets faster if you rev the engine. The new clutch was an OEM, and the TOB was Centerforce. Would you say it is the same issue? The chattering just pisses me off.
Exactly the same as mine. However it's not the TOB. It's the actual clutch, at least that's my understanding of it.

Quick Reply: Centerforce Clutch