Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Center wear Nitto Trail Grapplers

Old 07-19-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would drop it to 25 psi and do a chalk test. That is an E rated tire made for heavier vehicles, so lowering the pressure will improve the ride as well as give it a better contact patch with the road.
That's exactly what Im going to do Tomorrow. Any idea how low you can go for safe highway travle?
Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by puppetmaster

That's exactly what Im going to do Tomorrow. Any idea how low you can go for safe highway travle?
Well I've driven at 11psi with the sway bars disconnected leaving the trails to find somewhere safe to air up for about 15 minutes at 60 mph. Lol
Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
Well I've driven at 11psi with the sway bars disconnected leaving the trails to find somewhere safe to air up for about 15 minutes at 60 mph. Lol
Each person has a different measurement of safe. Lol.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:23 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard

Each person has a different measurement of safe. Lol.
Don't get me wrong I don't prefer it but gotta so what u gotta do
Old 07-20-2015, 12:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Folks,

I'm trying to figure out what's cause center wear on my Nitto 35x12.50R17 trail grapplers on stock rims. I have been running 26PSI in the tires for over 2 years .....
Nitto rep told me the tires need to be at 35PSI ..... he said the tire is an aggressive tire and the Jeep JK 2 door is light this is the correct PSI for the load weight of the tire.
..... I found a page that said sometime when you have a wide tire and narrower rim that could lead to center wear.
Indeed, the narrow stock rim width combined with very stiff sidewalls (which require 8.5-11" rim width), cause the tread to curve out.

The advise to increase to 35psi doesn't make sense. The curve will increase, resulting in less contact area on asphalt and less grip.

Lowering the pressure may not necessarily eliminate the curve, in which case the solution would be either moving to C or D load tires, or wider rims.

In any case, for the next set of tires, I'd get C or D load rating.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am running the same tire on stock Rubicon rims. Although mine is an unlimited, I rotate every 5000 miles with 32 psi. Never had any unusual wear. I am curious to know what is causing your problem. How often do you rotate the tires and in what pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-20-2015, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NativeMsSon
I am running the same tire on stock Rubicon rims. Although mine is an unlimited, I rotate every 5000 miles with 32 psi. Never had any unusual wear. I am curious to know what is causing your problem. How often do you rotate the tires and in what pattern?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Before I called Nitto and running 26PSI my pattern was the one on the right, I was rotating every 4K. The guy from Discount Tire was puzzled to when I told him the issue. He also said I should be running at 36PSI. Chalking, checking toe, and drag link tonight!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire-Rotation-Pattern_medium.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	618644
Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GJeep
Indeed, the narrow stock rim width combined with very stiff sidewalls (which require 8.5-11" rim width), cause the tread to curve out.

The advise to increase to 35psi doesn't make sense. The curve will increase, resulting in less contact area on asphalt and less grip.

Lowering the pressure may not necessarily eliminate the curve, in which case the solution would be either moving to C or D load tires, or wider rims.

In any case, for the next set of tires, I'd get C or D load rating.
That's why I fired this question out GJeep, 35PSI just doesn't make sense to me! Im going to adjust toe, drag link, and chalk tonight. Might just drop the $ for some wide rims or wait and then do a wheel tire package for next set. Thanks for the help buddy!
Old 07-20-2015, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would drop it to 25 psi and do a chalk test. That is an E rated tire made for heavier vehicles, so lowering the pressure will improve the ride as well as give it a better contact patch with the road.
Will be doing tonight Ryan thanks!
Old 07-20-2015, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

I chalked and it evened out at 22psi in the front and 25psi in the rear. Doesn't that seem wicked low?

Quick Reply: Center wear Nitto Trail Grapplers