Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Center steering wheel?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sneck
Well mine is brand stinking new, about 1800 miles on the clock so far, and less then 500 of those are with the new suspension. is there any way to verify whats wrong, or should it not have any play at all?
The number one cause of steering play on aftermarket lifts is using the wrong bolt for one of the drag link connections. That causes play no matter how much you tighten it. Another possible cause is a bad bushing. Then you get in to other issues which are much less common such as a defective steering box, or PS pump.

Just some suggestions for where to dig if you're still having trouble.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
I use white electrical tape at the upper center of the wheel and just watch it adjust as I turn the adjuster bracket.
good idea!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

made a video of centering steering wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMiAkgY8m8
Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I think I'll have to read over what the procal does as its bouncing around in my glove box. What are you using the procal for in regards to straightening the steering? I managed to get mine straight after the lift with only a minor tweek of the drag bar but should I also do something withe the procal?
Same here- it took a few tweaks... went too far on first attempt, back a little bit... and then back the first way a littler bit.. then it was perfect. Each time you adjust, take it for a short slow ride on a straight road and keep glancing down at your wheel. I took a ratchet with me so I could pull onto the shoulder and adjust as necessary.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepindreams
made a video of centering steering wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMiAkgY8m8
Aftermath: This adjustment was perfect. Final advice: if your steering wheel is 5-10 degrees off, you need less than a 1/2 turn of your turnbuckle. Don't over-do it like I did in the video.

My end result for as close to perfection as I could get, with steering wheel about 10 degrees off to the left, was 40% of a full turn forwards. Just under half a turn.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I will only look at the steering wheel if I have to make an initial (large) adjustment. From there, I will adjust in smaller increments after road testing it, and only go by how the wheel feels while out on the road.

Quick Reply: Center steering wheel?