Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Center steering wheel?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the write up on the project-jk website a few times and I center the steering wheel with another person watching the wheel and it keeps getting out of line about 30 sec out of the parking lot. Any ideas why?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

bump for asking about play in the steering wheel. i need to try to recenter it again, but the hardest part is all the damn play in the wheel, i feel like i can just move it almost an inch either way with out anything happening!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

i did this after reading project-jk write up.... i had the same problem so, i left the bolts loose and slowly drove down the street- around the block 3 timeslol..jumping out and making slight adjustments, jumped out 10 times before i was happy and tightened it on the spot....
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sneck
bump for asking about play in the steering wheel. i need to try to recenter it again, but the hardest part is all the damn play in the wheel, i feel like i can just move it almost an inch either way with out anything happening!
If your draglink isn't worn out it is you steering box. Mine had 3/4" play in it brand new. Got the dealer to replace it and the new one only lasted 2000 miles (playing in the rocks too) before it got sloppy and had it replaced again. They are wimpy boxes and don't like bigger tires.

Also search the site for steering shaft play, another common problem.

Mike
Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Well mine is brand stinking new, about 1800 miles on the clock so far, and less then 500 of those are with the new suspension. is there any way to verify whats wrong, or should it not have any play at all?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sneck
Well mine is brand stinking new, about 1800 miles on the clock so far, and less then 500 of those are with the new suspension. is there any way to verify whats wrong, or should it not have any play at all?
Your best bet is to do a search on this forum for steering wheel play, steering shaft play, steering clunk and etc. This has been discussed many times. Also try searching other JK and wrangler forums for troubleshooting tips.

Mike
Old 10-07-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

when i do this i goto an empty parking lot and let it drive, and track straight, get out adjust, let it drive and adjust untill i get it perfect.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Freak

with all the people that have done this adjustment, what is the ballpark turn needed in general. I know the average persons steering wheel is off about 5 degrees after a 3" lift. (random guess). So is the average turnbuckle adjustment 1 full turn or a bit less? Just wanted a base starting point so i don't go too far.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't checked my steering wheel play, but on an offroad rig you want that, otherwise you get your fingers jammed on every little bump!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdmat
you can do it the ground.
you are only adjusting the steering shaft.
Yes, it's just a simple drag link adjustment. You want your jeep on the ground when doing the adjustment. I use white electrical tape at the upper center of the wheel and just watch it adjust as I turn the adjuster bracket. If you have a buddy (or significant other) they can just sit there and tell you which direction you need to go, and when you are centered.

Quick Reply: Center steering wheel?