Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

catalytics clogged or high altitude?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DocFuller
So I'm just wasting money running 91 octane with Superchip? And will dyno-ing her bring her back to 'normal' power production??? I'm gonna be here a few years, so the cost may be worth it...
My 2 cents: 91 gas is wasting money...not sure about the dyno-ing...?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I'm just wasting money running 91 octane with Superchip? And will dyno-ing her bring her back to 'normal' power production??? I'm gonna be here a few years, so the cost may be worth it...
Most likely you are wasting money with 91 octane. Try lower octane and listen for pinging. My jeep pings with 91 octane and factory tune or any superchips or hypertech tune. I have to get my jeep looked at.

Dynotune is not going to help unless you change something major on your jeep. You need to get more air back into the engine, a tune is not going to give you more air.

Rob

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Volkswagen?
Yes. A '56 Beetle with sunroof.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yes. A '56 Beetle with sunroof.
Nice. A buddy of mine has that same motor in his dune buggy. It will fly. To the OP, out of curiousity does your motor use oil. If so, that is what is clogging up your catalytic converter
Old 09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

I run 85, no problem and saves money. Higher octane only gives you performance if you are running more advanced timing... Or if you find that you're getting knocking on 85, then maybe buy 87. The engines today have so many sensors that even if you were getting knocking, the timing would probably slow to compensate before you would even notice.

Run 85, and welcome to high altitude. When I drive to the Lake of the Ozarks (600-700ft above sea level vs 5000ft) my car feels like i have slapped a supercharger on it, but I quickly adapt and stop noticing. Soon you won't notice. Forced induction (turbo/supercharger) is great at altitude because it isn't as effected by the thin air as normally aspirated engines.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

Nice. A buddy of mine has that same motor in his dune buggy. It will fly. To the OP, out of curiousity does your motor use oil. If so, that is what is clogging up your catalytic converter
***I was burning the often-seen quart per 1,000 miles... Switched to Amsoil 5w30 and replaced PCV/plugs and almost stopped the burn completely. Damage to cats might already be done***
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spicoli

I run 85, no problem and saves money. Higher octane only gives you performance if you are running more advanced timing... Or if you find that you're getting knocking on 85, then maybe buy 87. The engines today have so many sensors that even if you were getting knocking, the timing would probably slow to compensate before you would even notice.

Run 85, and welcome to high altitude. When I drive to the Lake of the Ozarks (600-700ft above sea level vs 5000ft) my car feels like i have slapped a supercharger on it, but I quickly adapt and stop noticing. Soon you won't notice. Forced induction (turbo/supercharger) is great at altitude because it isn't as effected by the thin air as normally aspirated engines.
I would LOVE to throw a RIPP SC in there... Maybe the good folks at RIPP will donate one if I run their decals on EVERY viewable side of my Jeep! lol...
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

***I was burning the often-seen quart per 1,000 miles... Switched to Amsoil 5w30 and replaced PCV/plugs and almost stopped the burn completely. Damage to cats might already be done***
I had the same issue, and did the same with mine. I'm sure my cat is probably full of old oil too. While that isn't helping your performance, I think altitude is playing a big part in your power loss

Quick Reply: catalytics clogged or high altitude?