Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cat Back....Cost Effective?

Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
If you are looking for mileage and power, then you don't want to go with a system that does NOT have true mandrel bent tubing. Mandrel bending is much more expensive, but is the best way to do it. Also keep in mind that the factory exhaust is Stainless Steel. You may as well match it, if you want it to last the longest. I've had a couple of guys tell me that they are seeing mileage improvements, after installing my kit.
Thats kind of funny how you talk about true mandrel bent tubing, when in your kit pictured below, you can clearly see the big smash in the factory pipe just behind the axle.
I cut that smashed section out of mine before I took it to the muffler shop and had them add a stainless steel tailpipe to it.
So now my exhaust system is completely stainless steel with no smashed pipes anywhere

Old 03-10-2008, 04:23 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eracer76
Thats kind of funny how you talk about true mandrel bent tubing, when in your kit pictured below, you can clearly see the big smash in the factory pipe just behind the axle.
I cut that smashed section out of mine before I took it to the muffler shop and had them add a stainless steel tailpipe to it.
So now my exhaust system is completely stainless steel with no smashed pipes anywhere

Really? You wanna give me a hard time? Why? I'm just trying to help out here. And yes, I make a buck helping people out on the forum.

Do you think you get better performance by cutting out the dented part? If so would really like to hear what you base that on.

BTW, the bend in your tail pipe is crushed.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Really? You wanna give me a hard time? Why? I'm just trying to help out here. And yes, I make a buck helping people out on the forum.
Yeah, sorry about that, but I dont see it as you trying to help fellow Jeepers.
I see it as you trying to make money off of them, like you said.

Helping them would be what Im doing, showing them how to do the same exhaust system for 1/2 the price, with the same amount of work.

I probably wouldnt have said anything if you wouldnt have come on here boasting about mandrel bends and trying to make money off of it,
when if fact your system still has a factory smashed pipe in the middle.

Do you think you get better performance by cutting out the dented part? If so would really like to hear what you base that on.

BTW, the bend in your tail pipe is crushed
Yes, I do think it helps to cut out the smashed section, and so do you,
otherwise you wouldnt have been boasting about mandrel bends and how good the are

Yeah my pipe is slightly kinked at the bend, but not even half as bad as that factory smashed section was.
Besides, I wasnt the one boasting about mandrel bends and trying to make money off of it.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:16 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eracer76
Yeah, sorry about that, but I dont see it as you trying to help fellow Jeepers.
I see it as you trying to make money off of them, like you said.

Helping them would be what Im doing, showing them how to do the same exhaust system for 1/2 the price, with the same amount of work.

I probably wouldnt have said anything if you wouldnt have come on here boasting about mandrel bends and trying to make money off of it,
when if fact your system still has a factory smashed pipe in the middle.

Yes, I do think it helps to cut out the smashed section, and so do you,
otherwise you wouldnt have been boasting about mandrel bends and how good the are

Yeah my pipe is slightly kinked at the bend, but not even half as bad as that factory smashed section was.
Besides, I wasnt the one boasting about mandrel bends and trying to make money off of it.
Maybe you should take a look at all the posts that I have made, prior to ever even offering a product for Jeeps.

Take a look at my post. I did a lot of testing and posted the results for nothing more than the edification of the forum members. You don't have to buy my system. It's not patented. Any member on here is free to copy it at will. I certainly could have done it the same way as yours, for very little or no additional cost. I've done the measurements for mandrel bending compared to non-mandrel bending as well as for the dent. I didn't see the benefit though. I did see the benefit of a mandrel bent 304 stainless steel tail pipe. I designed the best system that I know how. I used the best muffler, the best clamps and the best materials and process. If you don't agree then just don't buy it. It's that simple. No need to give a sponsor a hard time about their product, just because it's different than what you did.

You posted up your solution and I posted up mine. I didn't criticize yours, but you come on here talking sh!t about me.

The JK motor requires some back pressure. We've seen that in the dyno testing. Unless you have dyno results that you haven't told us about, there is absolutely no way for you to know that the dent hurts or helps.

And do you really have a problem with someone trying to make money in this forum? Go ahead and try to explain that one.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

No need to give a sponsor a hard time about their product, just because it's different than what you did.

You posted up your solution and I posted up mine. I didn't criticize yours, but you come on here talking sh!t about me.

And do you really have a problem with someone trying to make money in this forum? Go ahead and try to explain that one.
I wasnt giving you a hard time because its different then mine, actually its damn near identical to mine
I thought I made it pretty clear that the only problem I had was you boasting about the mandrel bends being better,
when your system isnt fully mandrel bent, because it uses the stock smashed pipe.

Also, the way you posted right after my first post with pics, it seemed to me that you were bragging about how your system is so
great because it is mandrel bent and so on, as in implying that mine wasnt as good. So maybe I just took it the wrong way.

Anyway, I dont want to cause anymore trouble, can we just call a truce?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Puddlz
Hey Brett

don't get too affended, maybe his ride doesn't get off the asphalt rural trails, also I'm sure his AIRAID system doesn't hiss either.
Yeah your right, it doesnt ever leave the asphalt

Last edited by Eracer76; 03-11-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

que??????????????????
Old 03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! Did this stray.. AK4dave asked if it was cost effective. Don't have a clue but for $200 at my local performance muffler shop and now it sounds better and runs better. Save on gas...yep I save up all the time to put gas in it. If you really need to save on gas then I would suggest a GEO Metro
It's really a funny thing. We buy a Jeep, and as we slowly add stuff, it just gets heavier and heavier (kinda like sheriffs and donuts!). For every pound of crap thats added, increments are taken off the MPG. I took off 50 lbs of bumpers and added 200lbs of bumpers. Went from plastic steps to iron rock rails. We are fighting a never ending battle but .... I now have to go to Jeepaholics anonymous. Its an addiction I tell ya. My wife just does not understand...I blame it on everyone on this forum but she won't listen. I have to resort to cash..... she watches the CC's. I hide in the garage with my Quadratec catalog. I have a secret hiding place for it. (sniffle, sniffle)
Thanks, I feel much better now!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi

Yea...this post sure did go astray. Oh well, I guess I can understand. NOPE...no GEO Metro for me!!! And yes....I understand that the more goodies we put on it the heavier it will get and the less MPG we will have. BUT, I would think that as we do add the stuff we can at least try and help with the MPG by adding those things that will, right along with them.....if the all mighty $$$ will allow it. Am I expecting another 10 mpg?.....no. But a mile or 2 here and there to pick up along the way if possible, at these prices, it sure won't take long to pay for itself it would seem.
Anyway, I appreciate all the replies. And I guess the Magnaflow seems to be the most popular?
All the Best from Alaska....
Dave
PS...Kinda cool up here now. The snow is melting, but the ground is still frozen solid, so you can damn near go anywhere.....especially the swamps, and they can go on forever.....ha!!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

What is the stock size of the piping?

Can you weld stainless steel with a MIG welder?

Could you hypothetically leave out the tail section of the pipe and run a dump? Who needs tailpipes

Quick Reply: Cat Back....Cost Effective?