Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Castor

Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castor

OK I need your input, and I know that there are a lot of threads on this , But I'd like a specific answer to my set up.I have a 2.5" coil lift with new shocks(pro-comp) and I added 3/4" daystar coil spacers front and back, I have an adjustable front track bar and I am running 35" tires. My ride is not tracking straight and is now Flighty and Darty(words that I have seen on project JK) and I know that my castor probably needs to be adjusted. This is where I am confused, do I need front adjustable UPPER control arms like I have read on project JK /project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/basic-do-it-yourself-jeep-jk-wrangler-front-end-alignmentOr do I need front LOWER control arms like I have read on this forum. I am kinda tapped out for funds right now and would like to remedy this problem as cheaply and efficiently as possible(meaning I don't want to make my own extended arms)
thanks in advance for your

Last edited by boboborino; 02-23-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

I think either would work. Lowers would be adjusted longer than stock and uppers would get adjusted shorter. I would definitely get lower
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Lengthened control arms

Had the same issue, here is how I solved it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...88#post2115388

Good luck

Jim
Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

The easiest way to adjust caster is by adding Lower Control Arms and increasing the length. 23" is a good starting point, which is about 1/8" longer than stock. 6 degrees seems to work well. 5 degrees is stock on stock tires.

There's a good writeup on Project-JK on how to do/check alignments. You may want to read through it if you haven't already.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by boboborino
OK I need your input, and I know that there are a lot of threads on this , But I'd like a specific answer to my set up.I have a 2.5" coil lift with new shocks(pro-comp) and I added 3/4" daystar coil spacers front and back, I have an adjustable front track bar and I am running 35" tires. My ride is not tracking straight and is now Flighty and Darty(words that I have seen on project JK) and I know that my castor probably needs to be adjusted. This is where I am confused, do I need front adjustable UPPER control arms like I have read on project JK /project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/basic-do-it-yourself-jeep-jk-wrangler-front-end-alignmentOr do I need front LOWER control arms like I have read on this forum. I am kinda tapped out for funds right now and would like to remedy this problem as cheaply and efficiently as possible(meaning I don't want to make my own extended arms)
thanks in advance for your
I'm running the same setup (specs in profile) and added Teraflex lower control arms to adjust caster. I installed them myself and set them at 23" even. I have to say the Jeep rides and handles great.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Cam Bolts - Cheap, small range of adjustability, tend to slip with offroad driving, have to cut a notch out of the brackets to install, need to weld it up if you swap to adjustables.

Drop Bracket - Caster is adjusted a fixed amount, which may not be the amount you need. No adjustability for any further height changes. Can't adjust pinion if/when you go to a new driveshaft.

Longer/Shorter Fixed arms - same drawbacks as brackets.

Adjustable arms - By far the most expensive, but also the best solution. As noted above, uppers and lowers do the same thing. Uppers are cheaper, and will be adjusted shorter to raise caster. Lowers are more expensive, but have a better range of adjustability. They are set longer to raise caster.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-23-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

Upper arms reduce caster by bringing the top of the axle in, lower arms reduce caster by pushing the bottom of the axle out. I favor the latter because it keeps my tire away from the pinch seam/body.

For me, adjustable lowers is the way to go. If you upgrade your lift later, just readjust the arms for the new lift. Fixed arms are just that, no adjustment or tuning.

Do not get cam bolts, they just cause problems later, and brackets usually reduce clearance.

A quick temporary fix is to lower your tire pressure, if it isn't low already. A 35 inch stiff tire tends to wiggle. Soften it up. I run mine at 35psi, some run less.

Last edited by JK Rocker; 02-23-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember, like I mentioned in the other thread, when you fix your steering, you're hurting your front drive shaft angle. This can lead to all sorts of bad things.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlarso
Had the same issue, here is how I solved it.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...88#post2115388

Good luck

Jim
Ya I seen you on the other thread, cheap fix($ amount) and not that I am not capable, it's just I got a lot of other sh#% on the go and I would rather pay more and get it delivered to my door
Thanks for your reply
Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkerr
The easiest way to adjust caster is by adding Lower Control Arms and increasing the length. 23" is a good starting point, which is about 1/8" longer than stock. 6 degrees seems to work well. 5 degrees is stock on stock tires.

There's a good writeup on Project-JK on how to do/check alignments. You may want to read through it if you haven't already.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Ya I 've read through it (the link is in my original post) and it talks about upper control arms

Quick Reply: Castor