Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Caster, Steering, and Front Drive Shaft

Old 09-21-2012, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really comes down to an issue of three options, all with their own drawbacks. You can:

A) Keep the stock driveshaft, keep close to stock caster angles, have a pretty stable steering set-up, and trash your driveshaft boot over time just from the angle.

B) Replace the front driveshaft with an aftermarket one, run close to stock caster angles, have a stable steering set-up, and have vibrations from the mis-matched driveshaft joints that COULD cause catastrophic damage to your transfer case.

C) Replace the front driveshaft with an aftermarket one, run smaller caster angles, which will reduce driveshaft vibrations, but inversely increase the amount of "flightyness" feel in the steering.

If you are going to keep the stock front axle, it is going to be a give and take between flightyness and vibrations, until you find a caster angle that you are happy with. Some people just live with flighty handling, others dial in stock caster and just remove the front driveshaft for daily driving, and the extremely anal people actually cut the C's off the axle and turn them for a better angle.

Of course, the easiest--and more expensive--option is to purchase a ProRock 44 Unlimited housing, which will have more caster already fabricated in, to combat this issue from the start.

Hope this helps, or at least points you in the right direction!

-Adam
Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Good response... but yeah the front drive shaft is already trash ... I took it out not too long ago and the boot was shredded... but I guess I'm gonna roll with out one for awhile and try to dial in the steering and whenever my 4 door soft top sells, probably order a coast DS...
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by isolated1523
It really comes down to an issue of three options, all with their own drawbacks. You can:

A) Keep the stock driveshaft, keep close to stock caster angles, have a pretty stable steering set-up, and trash your driveshaft boot over time just from the angle.

B) Replace the front driveshaft with an aftermarket one, run close to stock caster angles, have a stable steering set-up, and have vibrations from the mis-matched driveshaft joints that COULD cause catastrophic damage to your transfer case.

C) Replace the front driveshaft with an aftermarket one, run smaller caster angles, which will reduce driveshaft vibrations, but inversely increase the amount of "flightyness" feel in the steering.

If you are going to keep the stock front axle, it is going to be a give and take between flightyness and vibrations, until you find a caster angle that you are happy with. Some people just live with flighty handling, others dial in stock caster and just remove the front driveshaft for daily driving, and the extremely anal people actually cut the C's off the axle and turn them for a better angle.

Of course, the easiest--and more expensive--option is to purchase a ProRock 44 Unlimited housing, which will have more caster already fabricated in, to combat this issue from the start.

Hope this helps, or at least points you in the right direction!

-Adam
Wow! Good quick and complete summary. Helped me too. Thx man!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120922_090337.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	369153

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120922_090404.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	369154

I just got under it and took these.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120922_090427.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	369155  
Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Its definitely not a flip kit.. how hard are those to put on... so am I looking at about $1k for flip kit and front DS.. also I saw somewhere I have to have a stock pit an arm to have a flip kit.. and people say the skyjacker lift comes with a pitman arm.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd say more along the lines of $750ish. I just recently put an evo flip kit on, install was relatively easy. The most difficult part will be drilling your passenger side knuckle out for the new collet and drag link. There is also a good chance depending on the lift, that you have a drop pitman arm installed as well. The flip kit negates the need for that.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

So would I have to take the pitman arm off and get a stock one...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nkrimmel2012
So would I have to take the pitman arm off and get a stock one...
Correct. You need a stock pitman arm. They can be had for less than 50 bucks. Check the billboard thread for parts. If you dont see one, put up a wanted ad.

The EVO drag link flip kit is only 300 with free shipping from northridge4x4 and does not require welding.

A aftermarket front driveshaft ( tom woods, coast, etc) should not be more than 500.

Call david at northridge and he will get you the best deals.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Freak

Sweet thanks... So the flip kit is strictly bolt on except drilling the 7/8" hole I. The passenger knuckle... will my fox racing SS just bolt to the new bracket and everything
Old 09-22-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Butt I'm looking at about 800$ and its pretty much an easy install with all of it...

Quick Reply: Caster, Steering, and Front Drive Shaft