Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Caster, Steering, and Front Drive Shaft

Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the track bar is damaged or just needs to be tightened?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Either the bolts are loose or the bushings are bad.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Freak

I got ya... I'm looking under the jeep I the drag like is bolted under the joint... not on top like pics I've seen
Old 09-21-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nkrimmel2012
I got ya... I'm looking under the jeep I the drag like is bolted under the joint... not on top like pics I've seen
The joint would be on top of the mount so you don't have a draglink flip kit then? That would rule that bushing out then. You really should get it on jacks and have someone turn the wheel. It will tell you quite a bit. Look at your trackbar mounting bolts, pitman arm and nut and drag link bolts...you'll probably see some play somewhere if your steering wheel has 3 inches of play and the dealer says the steering box is good.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really question how the caster was determined to be 5.8. Stock is just a bit over 4*. How did you get MORE caster than stock and still keep a decent drive shaft angle? Usually when you adjust caster for a lift you'll end up with 2* or less. These angles can cause very flighty steering.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

I read somewhere before that the caster angler should be high, so when I took it to have an alignment they adjusted accordingly.. which in turn tore up my front drive shaft, so I took it out while I'm waiting to buy a new front DS.. But I'm gonna have to figure out what's with the drag link flip kit.. if its on the bottom, then it definitely does not have the flip kit, correct? So that's something I should really look into
Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
I really question how the caster was determined to be 5.8. Stock is just a bit over 4*. How did you get MORE caster than stock and still keep a decent drive shaft angle? Usually when you adjust caster for a lift you'll end up with 2* or less. These angles can cause very flighty steering.

X2

that much caster with 4" of lift? doubtful....very, very, very doubtful. i think your caster is way low in reality and that is causing the flightly steering. the slop in the steering will be fixed with a drag flip.

fix....prorock unlimited housing and draglink flip.....lol
Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

So u think my caster should be higher... and what's a pro rock.. thing u said... and u honestly think the flip kit will fix it
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

I just kinda feel like crap cause the guy I bought it from said it had a flip kit.. and actually has receipts from everything done to the jeep.. and there was an order from quadratec for a teraflew HD drag link flip kit... so it kinda sucks not seeing it actually on the jeep
Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Try to post up some pics of all the goodies (steering Stuff) if their is a flip kit it will be seen on the pics. And do a search on a Pro Rock 44 axle...every jeepers dream

Quick Reply: Caster, Steering, and Front Drive Shaft