Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Caster, Steering, and Front Drive Shaft

Old 09-19-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster, Steering, and Front Drive Shaft

I have a 4" Skyjacker lift with a caster angle of 5.8... My steering is still so flighty and my front drive shaft is tore up.. I was told maybe 4.5 would be better... I just want some ideas to get the steering tighter and what Front Drive Shaft I should go with next...
Old 09-19-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

I am curious about replies too. I have the same lift. I've added adjustable front upper and lower control arms and keep my tire pressure at 25 psi. Mine is fine around town up to about 60 mph but still flighty on the highway at 70-75.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Yeah my tires are at 35psi now.. I'm going to drop them back down to about 27
Old 09-21-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Anyone have some insight on how to fix the steering issue..
Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you experiencing any bump steer at all?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Good reply.. ummm.. yeah I was told the joints were in good shape... and the toe in is good... I haven't tried re-torquing anything.. I will have to do some research to see what the specs are but I will do that and see what happens... the biggest problem is just the steering wheel has close to about 3" of play in other direction before the wheels start moving.. and that's going down the road
Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Good reply.. ummm.. yeah I was told the joints were in good shape... and the toe in is good... I haven't tried re-torquing anything.. I will have to do some research to see what the specs are but I will do that and see what happens... the biggest problem is just the steering wheel has close to about 3" of play in other direction before the wheels start moving.. and that's going down the road
Old 09-21-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nkrimmel2012
Good reply.. ummm.. yeah I was told the joints were in good shape... and the toe in is good... I haven't tried re-torquing anything.. I will have to do some research to see what the specs are but I will do that and see what happens... the biggest problem is just the steering wheel has close to about 3" of play in other direction before the wheels start moving.. and that's going down the. road
You probably should have mentioned the 3 inches of play in the steering wheel first ...the responses would have been different. You should get the front wheels in the air and have somebody turn the wheel while you look at all the loose stuff underneath. I saw from your profile that you had a draglink flip and adjustable trackbars installed. Has it ever drove right? Maybe they installed the flip kit wrong or left out the bushing. Maybe loose trackbar bolts or a failed steering box...best thing would be to look at it while someone turns the wheel.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

I bought it with this set up and it has been like this since I bought it.. dealer says the steering box is fine.. also they said everything was tight.. if u could post the way the flip kit is supposed to look, I can compare.. they bushing are a little worn but are in decent shape..
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like its in the track bar to me.

Quick Reply: Caster, Steering, and Front Drive Shaft