Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Caster / pinion angle

Old 08-19-2020, 04:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by murdoc319
Ah, that’s right, I swear I’m dyslexic and I look at the 96 degrees and always think 4 degrees of caster. I love this picture but always have to check it before I do my math!
I actually had scribbled on that picture because that dang 96° arc added confusion for a lot of people, including me way back when. Really didn't seem to add any valuable information (or rather complicated how my mind thinks). The important part was that 6° lean back from perpendicular.
The following users liked this post:
murdoc319 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I actually had scribbled on that picture because that dang 96° arc added confusion for a lot of people, including me way back when. Really didn't seem to add any valuable information (or rather complicated how my mind thinks). The important part was that 6° lean back from perpendicular.
lol, I saved that pic because of the scribbled out arc, but was trying to remember who posted the doctored image. Should have known.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Cleaned that picture up a bit. I looked back at the original picture and realized that the 90° line didn't used to exist. Someone added that along the way and I think that was the real helpful part. At that point the bigger arc was just no longer necessary.
murdoc319 (08-19-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

final note on this..I found that the bolts holding the ds onto the tc flange had worked their way loose and I was actually missing a bolt. Replaced the bolt, coated all bolts with blue locktight and tightened. The vibration is 90% gone. I did look at the rear ds angle. the angle on the rear ds was about 9.5* and the rear ds at 11*, about a 1.5* difference. Thought I might decrease the angle toward 1* or less, but the bow on my rear springs is already pretty substantial.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

wow, that is a bit scary. I think they recommend red loctite on those bolts for a DC to the TC yoke, but i could be wrong on that.

The only real cure for banana springs in back is repositioning those perches. That rear DS is factory still? If so, those CV joints are really forgiving, especially with the 4dr. I don't think that would be adding to driveline vibes, unless of course maybe you lost a weight or something.
murdoc319 (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
wow, that is a bit scary. I think they recommend red loctite on those bolts for a DC to the TC yoke, but i could be wrong on that.

The only real cure for banana springs in back is repositioning those perches. That rear DS is factory still? If so, those CV joints are really forgiving, especially with the 4dr. I don't think that would be adding to driveline vibes, unless of course maybe you lost a weight or something.
I replaced the rear ds with the double cardan type (same as in the front). While it has been a while since the shafts were replaced (by a Jeep shop), I don't think they put any locktite on the bolts. scary. I'm off to Ouray next week, so the perches may be the next project. My rear axle is a Sahara D44 model where I have changed out the axles, gears, and added lockers.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

JKS makes some nice adjustable perches, but they are ~$190, and that sure is a bit of work to cut off the old ones and grind that all down. Most people aren't up for that much.......fun , and just live with the bananas. Have fun in Ouray! That sure is a beautiful part of Colorado.

Quick Reply: Caster / pinion angle