Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Caster and Drive shafts

Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caster and Drive shafts

I have the OME HD lift on my 2 dr and got around 3.5" lift, with frt adj. lower CA's and my caster set around 6 degree's. When, I get new Coast F/R DS's and adj. rear CA's will I need to keep around the same caster angle with the new DC DS?

I understand that the pinion need to be more inline with the DS. So, will I need to get closer to the 3-4 degree range.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

The greater the caster angle the more stable the steering. Just look at the caster on a dragster, wicked high but very stable at high speeds.
Ideally you would keep you caster angle the same as the angle on the drive flanges on the transfer case. A couple of extra degrees on the front will add steering stability. Factory spec calls for 4.5 degrees plus or minus 1.5 degrees.
If the drive shafts have universal joints and not CV joints you want a bit of difference in the angle between the differential and transfer case. This causes the bearings in the U joints to circulate and prevents premature failure.
To much difference can excessive vibration and failure also.
It's a balancing act.

Last edited by jlarso; 04-21-2011 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Mis read post
Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jlarso
The greater the caster angle the more stable the steering. Just look at the caster on a dragster, wicked high but very stable at high speeds.
Ideally you would keep you caster angle the same as the angle on the drive flanges on the transfer case. A couple of extra degrees on the front will add steering stability. Factory spec calls for 4.5 degrees plus or minus 1.5 degrees.
If the drive shafts have universal joints and not CV joints you want a bit of difference in the angle between the differential and transfer case. This causes the bearings in the U joints to circulate and prevents premature failure.
To much difference can excessive vibration and failure also.
It's a balancing act.
I see you have a 2 dr with at least a 3" lift. Have you change out your DS and if so how long did they last after lift?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GunDude
I see you have a 2 dr with at least a 3" lift. Have you change out your DS and if so how long did they last after lift?
I bought the rig a little less than a year ago. It had the stock drive shafts and the lift was already installed. It had about 30K miles on it when I purchased it, has 35K now.
I have no idea how long the lift has been on it.
No drive shaft issues I am aware of and I do not plan on changing them unless I have to. I lengthened the front lower control arms to get 5.5 to 6 degrees of caster from 3 degrees. Helped the drive ability a lot.

Quick Reply: Caster and Drive shafts