Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

carrier bearing question

Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carrier bearing question

I only have 20k on my mine. Do I NEED to change/replace my carrier bearings when installing new gears?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swapped gears at 16k and my bearings were fine. Take a look when you do it, but I really don't think it will be necessary.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it. Those bearing are hardly brocken in yet. The only reason I would replace the carrier bearings is if i was changing the carrier. The reason for that is because it is easier and less work to install new bearing on a carrier than remove from the old carrier and reinstall on the new one, assuming you didn't damage them while pulling them off. The only thing I would consider replacing is the pinion seal. It can get damaged in the process of pulling the pinion is and out while you are setting up the gear set. Thats all I would worry about.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RFL83-13
I wouldn't worry about it. Those bearing are hardly brocken in yet. The only reason I would replace the carrier bearings is if i was changing the carrier. The reason for that is because it is easier and less work to install new bearing on a carrier than remove from the old carrier and reinstall on the new one, assuming you didn't damage them while pulling them off. The only thing I would consider replacing is the pinion seal. It can get damaged in the process of pulling the pinion is and out while you are setting up the gear set. Thats all I would worry about.
what he says

Quick Reply: carrier bearing question